• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We're using Claris FileMaker to track production internally. AMA

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
For the Most part this would be my workflow, probably for most as well. Is FileMaker worth just jumping into to test the waters or is it worth it to pay someone knowledgeable to tailor it to our needs?
I think one would need to decide how much time and effort they can afford to spend on a such a project. It's much like an educational course offered from some sort of institution or training facility. It would take some genuine dedication, otherwise job it out.

If one were to purchase a single perpetual FileMaker license and consider the cost as an education company expense, in my opinion, the time spent just getting one's feet wet with databases in general could save far more expense when shopping for most other business solution(s). One would be knowledgable and confident in what they would be shopping for.

(more later)

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
What is the language/logic that FileMaker 19 uses? Can it integrate well with JS and JQ?
Being a rapid database management system, FileMaker uses plain english (in our case of localization). Programming commands are chosen from a library list of ~200 (I think) in which only ~5% are routinely used. There are only 3 major areas of FileMaker; the calculation engine, the scripting engine (where the ~5% of commands are use), and the displays engine. One might think of the calculation engine similar to Excel formulas, the scripting engine where each line might be thought of as “do this or do that when possible or stop here”, and the display engine which is very much like any simple vector drawing tool using rudimentary shapes, symbols, colors, and text and also includes CSS-type control.

JS and more is accessed via what FileMaker calls its WebViewer.

20 minute YouTube video:

GB2

Old Member
There are a number of free Filemaker solutions, or pre-built systems, that are generic in nature that you can adapt for your own use without too much time or effort. This could allow you to actually start to use the program fairly quickly and easily while you get to learn how to do more yourself. It really is a great program but like anything, it takes practice and effort to become proficient with it.

Try checking out this free solution:

https://fmstartingpoint.com/index.html

WildWestDesigns

What is the language/logic that FileMaker 19 uses? Can it integrate well with JS and JQ?

With WASM, most anything that can be compiled can integrate with JS and JQ and other web technologies as well.

It seems to definitely be a scripting more then anything and while I do love my scripting languages, it does play hell with performance. Even if scripting is just a portion of the app and not the entire app. Scripting tends to be dynamic and JIT and that does muck around with it.

I'm not seeing though if we are talking about Electron apps, web view apps(kinda of a minified electron app, the future competitor or Electron if you will (looking forward to Tauri in that regard). It does appear that you can use a "web view" in the app, just don't know if that's the entire app or just a window of the app.

If they are hocking "low code", it would have to be something like that or they have really abstracted away low level coding, especially for the desktop apps.

Which is OK as long as they have a means of allow for more coding if the low code method isn't as performant (which in some instances it won't be, just a fact of the matter).

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Can you build a single-user solution, then convert to cloud once it's all working properly?
No conversion is necessary. See the attached image. One would upload the work file to FileMaker Server which will run on Mac, Windows. (Unix is now in preview but has already been in service before, some years ago.)

Once the database file is uploaded, an admin will then make the file available to permitted users via the FileMaker Server admin console. Further development or changes can occur to the live file even while it's open and hosted. Devs often choose to do such work during off-hours but I'm guessing FireSprint works on his hosted file during work hours just as many in-house devs choose to do.

Attachments

• exampleUploadToServer.jpg
    exampleUploadToServer.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:

Christian @ 2CT Media

But server and cloud are different, according to Claris. Can a standard is single user be converted to a cloud instance or is it a different format like access is?

WildWestDesigns

One would upload the work file to FileMaker Server which will run on Mac, Windows. (Unix is now in preview but has already been in service before, some years ago.)

Strange, since Mac is UNIX-Like (BSD really, even iOS derives from the same darwin kernel).

But server and cloud are different, according to Claris.

That seems strange. I don't see how something that is a dedicated task differentiate between cloud v server.

Cloud in terms of pool of resources, versus a dedicated application usage of a server, sure, I can see there being a difference, but in terms of a specific application use, not really. Unless there is something else going on, which there may very well be.

Why not do something in your own network, keep things internal?

Can still do something in JS, React (or Vue) since you seem to know those languages and some node modules if necessary and host it internally?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
But server and cloud are different, according to Claris. Can a standard is single user be converted to a cloud instance or is it a different format like access is?
One the fortunate aspects of the platform is that you have options.

1) A FileMaker file (or files) can be hosted via peer-to-peer for up to 5 users in-house with no separate FileMaker Server application required. This option is nowadays, as opposed to the past, meant to be used for testing only.
2) FileMaker files can be hosted using the FileMaker Server software from "on-premises" locally or even WAN if you have the capability from your ISP and the FileMaker licensing for the user count licenses.
3) FileMaker files can be hosted from Claris servers with the appropriate user count licenses.
4) FileMaker files can be hosted from their partner Amazon (AWS) with the appropriate user count licenses.
5) FileMaker files can be hosted form 3rd-party hosting services such as Productive Computing in the San Diego, CA area and other 3rd parties as well, and of course, with the appropriate user count licenses. With 3rd-party providers you often have a choice of your preferred Mac or Windows hardware. Mac hardware does not require a separate server hardware license however, therefore less expensive.

The FileMaker database file authored from either a Mac or PC would be hosted by any of the above without conversion. The FMP.12 file extension is compatible with Mac, Windows, and FileMaker Go for iOS. Most web browsers can read and write data with FMP.12 files when WebDirect is turned on at the FileMaker Server console to do so.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Strange, since Mac is UNIX-Like (BSD really, even iOS derives from the same darwin kernel).

That seems strange. I don't see how something that is a dedicated task differentiate between cloud v server.

Cloud in terms of pool of resources, versus a dedicated application usage of a server, sure, I can see there being a difference, but in terms of a specific application use, not really. Unless there is something else going on, which there may very well be.

Why not do something in your own network, keep things internal?

Can still do something in JS, React (or Vue) since you seem to know those languages and some node modules if necessary and host it internally?
The only reason I would go cloud vs hosted is the api call count and data allowances are cheaper via cloud.

Christian @ 2CT Media

There are a number of free Filemaker solutions, or pre-built systems, that are generic in nature that you can adapt for your own use without too much time or effort. This could allow you to actually start to use the program fairly quickly and easily while you get to learn how to do more yourself. It really is a great program but like anything, it takes practice and effort to become proficient with it.

Try checking out this free solution:

https://fmstartingpoint.com/index.html
Do you happen to know if this is unlocked for full editing?

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Do you happen to know if this is unlocked for full editing?

Yes, it's fully unlocked. Just be aware that it has been around for a very long time and thus has grown into a sort of monster as far as an example used for FileMaker training. A far better training and less intimidating file and fully unlocked, useable solution can still be found from FileMaker at...

https://support.claris.com/s/articl...ies--advanced-for-filemaker-15?language=en_US

Also know that any data input is always exportable and useable elsewhere and know that any backend (formulas, etc.) or fronted (interface layouts, etc.) is useable going forward.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I always like using snippets and starting point for everything. Helps me to understand the logic and allows me to think past it.

I'm going to find as many as I can to see how they all operate.

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Hi Guys,

Been using FileMaker to track our internal production for a few years now. We have learned alot and done 95% of the development in house.

Any questions I can answer?
I am interested in what you are doing with FileMaker.
By using it, do you sense that your entire company is stress-free?
Maybe to be a little more specific, is everyone's email inbox brought to zero most days?
Or, is your desktop inbox cleared at least once a day?
And then, are you able to locate information or papers quickly, or do you have piles of paperwork?
Why do I ask? I am developing a series of threads on David Allen's "Getting Things Done, the Art of Stress-Free Productivity."
I hope my curiosity makes sense. Please feel free to ask clarifying questions.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
Haha, stress free? No. In fact it's a constant battle. What to automate, when to use paper, what happens when there is a bug. How do I do this?

Just because I understand it, doesn't mean everyone else will.

I worked with a developer that once told me to build a solid paper system first. Forms, trays, wall pockets, etc. Whatever can be done with software, should be able to be done with paper prototyping first.

There's this thought that software will solve problems.

Software will solve a problem about as well as switching pencils will solve writers block.

People solve problems.

GTR is great! I have only brushed on it though.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
I'm going to find as many as I can to see how they all operate.
A collection of four CRM software layouts illustrating how different a user interface may be from one another but serve the same purpose, that is to show a particular customer’s invoices in this case. They all accomplish the goal but to varying degrees of advantage and effectiveness.

To study the variations is a practiced technique of “comparison” when inventing or developing creations, especially products for market, in order to discover opportunity for improvements.

Many sign layout artists are well suited to make software interfaces because it’s often more about “layout” than it is “design.”

Attachments

• Study200919.jpg
    Study200919.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 162