• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet laminating

Rojo

We use the Big Squeegee to mount and laminate. On small to medium sizes laminating it works fine. On large prints like 4 foot square with Oracal 210 lam it is almost impossible to get a flawless result.

Decided to try a wet mount on a sample 4' x 4' Mimaki solvent print. We hinged the laminate half way and removed the backing from half the laminate. Sprayed the print with app fluid and misted the lam too. We laid the lam flat on the print and used the BS with more pressure than on a dry mount to press down the lam and squeeze out the fluid. Immediately soaked up the liquid and went over the print with a regular squeegee to make sure all fluid was out. Turned the whole thing around and did he other half. The result was flawless and it was very easy. The next day the lam seems to be adhering fine, no silvering an no curling.

Don't need to do it on small stuff but this turned a pain in the arse laminating process on large prints into a piece of cake.

My question is does this process compromise the quality of the print or lam adhesion? Don't want to do it on customer jobs if it is going to cause problems with longevity.

would be interested to know this also......if anyone else has been doing this with lam. never thought of doing it as we use a laminator..but would be interested if the end result is as good as doing it dry.

CanuckSigns

we used to do this before we gout a laminator, never had any complaints. One word of advise though, make sure the backer paper of the vinyl is able to handle the wet, Oracal 3651 is fine, but we got some other brand and the paper seperated as soon as the water touched it, leaving little bits of paper stuck to the adhesive.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Laminate isn't intended to be applied like that.

I can't imagine not purchasing a laminator when buying a printer...
Kinda like buying a car and pushing it around because you don't want to spend money on gas...

CanuckSigns

Laminate isn't intended to be applied like that.

I can't imagine not purchasing a laminator when buying a printer...
Kinda like buying a car and pushing it around because you don't want to spend money on gas...

given that most dealers go on about how you don't need to laminate solvent prints, it's not surprising, not saying it's correct, but without any real world experience I can see how some people think they can do without.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
given that most dealers go on about how you don't need to laminate solvent prints

I've spoke with many dealers over the years and never had one try to talk me out of the additional laminator purchase.... :wink:

Or tell me prints don't need lamination unless your making short term banners.

Mainframe

One trick you might want to try with 210 & big prints with the big squeegee, is put a couple of strips of banner tape on a 1" wide piece of coro, make the coro a little wider than the print, when you peel back the release liner from the 210, stick the coro on the release liner & start rolling it up, this will give you a "handle" to pull the liner away while you squeegee it down, this gives a lot more control for bigger prints, after a little practice I think you will be able to knock out a 4'x4' lam job really quick with no flaws.

J

john1

To be honest, i do 4' long prints x 30" all the time and i never have any problems with the 210 lam. All you gotta do is pull the backer and move the BS at the same time and when you get out of arms reach, Side walk down the table until it's all done.

Wet laminating is something i know a guy around here does with EVERYTHING he laminates but to me it's a pain in the neck as sometimes the fluid gets the edges and backing paper wet and causes a mess.

Mosh

pratice...it is a simple process. Silvering goes away in a day or two.
210, you are only printing on cheap film then right??? If you are using a good oracal you need the 290 lam for outdoor long term stuff.

Rojo

Thanks for the replies. I know wet apps aren't popular here and aren't part of my typical processes. Doesn't look like anyone has had any problems that were my concern. Fluid didn't bother the backing but we did wipe it down right away.
We'll see how it holds up over time.

While a car without gas may not be useful (unless you live in it), a solvent printer without a powered laminator is definitely functional.

A good 5k laminator would be nice and is in the plan but for now I'll have to keep pushing around the Big Squeegee.

Custom_Grafx

Do you guys have these in the States?

http://www.alclaminating.com/Home/Products/tabid/61/Default.aspx?SubCategoryId=7

They are around $800 or $1000, and anything under around 8 foot, you will achieve the same results as a proper laminator. It also mounts to board VERY well. (easier and better than electric actually).

If you have 2 people, you will be able to laminate much longer than 8'.

I don't know how much a big squeegee costs, but if it's only a couple hundred less than this, I wouldn't even think about it.

Sounds like with smaller format stuff the BS is good though?

By the way, depends on your app fluid if it causes problems. I would say even if you don't see any problems, it's still not an 'optimum' product you are producing. Remember, app fluid can contain alcohol, soaps, etc etc who knows... and with things like warranties and customer assurance - can you afford that when it comes back at you? Then again, I guess if you were doing 'critical' jobs you wouldn't be doing that in the first place... I hope?

Rojo

I've seen devices here like that. Always wondered if the quality was there. Roller quality, ability to adjust it properly, etc. Wouldn't be opposed to that type of machine.

Anyone else have experience with a manual type mounter/laminator?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
We have one of those from the link.
If you are not doing high volume it works just fine.
Takes a little getting used to but once you have it down it is so simple there is very little that can go wrong.
Longest single panels have been about 40ft of 54" 180c.
You don't keep laminate webbed up so there is no change out to do when running projects that need different laminates.

wayne k
guam usa

Custom_Grafx

I've seen devices here like that. Always wondered if the quality was there. Roller quality, ability to adjust it properly, etc. Wouldn't be opposed to that type of machine.

Anyone else have experience with a manual type mounter/laminator?

I started with one of those. The first couple of months I wouldn't stop swearing at the thing, but after that, any job up to 2m long I used to love it. Used it for around 4 years straight. Never had a problem with quality, mine was built well - and I don't think much can go wrong with them mechanically. The top roller is spring loaded, so the knobs start releasing when you're near the right spot.

In my opinion, when you learn how to use it, it gives you near perfect results every time. It is also much easier to operate than an electronic machine, and makes mounting very easy and reliable.

Another plus compared to an electronic laminator, is that you have near zero waste.