• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet or Dry install... Which do you prefer?

showcase 66

One of the local sing guys around here talks his mouth all the time and will actually show up while you are doing a job and start talking smack about you to the client. If he sees you doing a wet install he will tell your client that you don't know what you are doing because no "real Sign guy" would do a wet install.
I rarely do wet installs because to me it takes longer to do them. Not to mention it makes a bigger mess. I have talked to other guys that pretty much do all there application via a wet install. doesnt make sense to me but thats what they do.
What do you guys use for the solution in your wet installs as well. All I use is a couple drops of dish shop and water. Have heard I shouldnt do that but I havent had any problems yet with it. Nothing has failed either.

dwt

At 5:30 on Friday is a great time to wet install just in case... Otherwise mostly dry.
As for the mix...50/50 distilled water and denatured alcohol with a small drop of baby shampoo.

fmg

Whatever method makes you fell more comfortable and more in control.
Also depends on what you are applying and to where.

Bigdawg

Just Me
On big pieces - I'm learning the joys of doing it wet with the new guy (now THAT sounded really bad)

But mostly dry... Cut Vinyl? Always dry...

SignManiac

I'd be more concerned about the dickwad that likes to run his mouth to another signguy's clients on the job site. I'd be washing his mouth out with Rapid Tac if he got in my face.

threeputt

Yeah, it's kinda like "which is better to use, a nail or a screw"?

Depends greatly on the application.

On large windows with a single large piece of vinyl, we would go wet with rapid tac.

Cut-out vinyl letters, dry app.

Wraps, dry app.

Covering an entire 4'x8 or larger with a single piece of vinyl, wet app with rapid tac.

And on and on. Million shades of grey. How big is a big piece of vinyl? Do you have a helper? (extra pair of hands) Is it windy outside? etc., etc. Is the glass really hot from the sun beating down on it.

Letterbox Mike

I'd be more concerned about the dickwad that likes to run his mouth to another signguy's clients on the job site. I'd be washing his mouth out with Rapid Tac if he got in my face.

+1

And wet or dry are both okay depending on the application and circumstances. They both have their place, wet application is not amateurish, it's necessary sometimes.

ChiknNutz

+1

And wet or dry are both okay depending on the application and circumstances. They both have their place, wet application is not amateurish, it's necessary sometimes.

Yup, another vote here....

showcase 66

+1

Yup, another vote here....

I am not really worried about him. He can't compete with me or pretty much any other place in town. He shoots himself in the foot all the time. I was doing a door sign for a friend of mine and this guy came up to him telling him I was the worse sign guy in the world and he could do the job a 100 times better than me and a lot cheaper. My buddy said I was doing the door for $25 and he quickly said I would have only charged you $15. It was a 5 color design. I told him he should of had him do it for the 15.

I agree with the large solid pieces. Wet is the best way on those.

BobM

Wet or dry as the install dictates. For the last year I started washing twice with Rapid Tac using paper towels rather than rags. If I wet apply I use Rapid Tac II.

signsbydebbie

Oh lord ppl....... THE BIG SQUEEGEE is the best tool I ever bought. I mount 4x8 in less than three minuts with ZERO bubbles.... signabond , coro , polycarb, hell I used it to mount an 25' wide shape cut print on a water tower 115' high.

All this happening DRY by the way.