• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What 3d programs do you use for modeling

Gene@mpls

I am getting into sending proposals to customers to try to convey to them
what I intend to do for them for 3D signs- for most signs I can model them
in Aspire well enough to show what my ideas are- but for hand carved pieces
it would be nice to do a 3D model in something like Sketchup. Just wondering
what you peeps use or recommend. I don't need to make characters for video
games etc so I hate to spend $2-5k on the program. Thanks Gene

xxaxx

I use 3ds max ... but honestly for your purpose, Google SketchUp or Soft Image will be more than enough and they are both free.

Edit: I also forgot Blender, another free one that would be more than enough for your needs.

Joe Crumley

Gene,

I admire your idea but I'd have a difficult time pulling it off. On occasion I've made the mistake of designing myself into a corner with the stroke of the mouse.

My only product is dimensional. Sales come from simple line drawings, dimensional samples and photo's. The best way to learn this trade is to make drop dead samples. Lost of them because this is the way to learn the tricks of the trade and get your confidence up.

Even after thirty years I'm still experimenting with samples and letters. Sure makes nice office display signs.

I'm wishing you best and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

Gene@mpls

Thank you all. I am kinda drawn to Blender as I like the idea of open source
software. I am after all an aging hippie.

And Joe- I follow you on many forums and respect what you do. I trained on computers right out of high school in 65-66 and have (for better or worse) that kind of mind function. I am partnering with a genuine artist in this endeavor...
and while he can draw, I cannot. We are going to Rob's sign camp in a couple
months (for the pre-camp 2 days as well) and are making lots of samples for
our showroom and learning at a furious rate (at least for my mind). I hope to
meet and talk to you someday. After 16 years of 2d sign making- I feel like
a kid again. Thanks Gene

Joe Crumley

Well my friend I'm rooting for you. Your choice of software is excellent.

When I entered dimensional work it was directed at entrance signs for new housing additions and referbs of apartments. That kind of work kept me going for about five years. Most of it was sandblasting redwood. However when I purchased a CNC that kind of work was tailing off. To keep me busy I began to target my markets. At first it was Farms and Ranches. That's my favorite kind of work. Soon I was looking at Retirement Homes, Chiropractic Clinics, Dentist and anything in medicine. My point is, targeting is a very efficient method of building a business.

Good luck with your Indiana Workshop. I know you will enjoy the venture.

Joe Crumley
www.normansignco.com

peavey123

Blender is awesome and very powerful...but be prepared for a steep learning curve. I used to use AutoCAD and Autodesk inventor for a previous job. Creating 3D objects with those programs is very intuitive, but Blender just throws all that logical stuff on it's head. lol Good luck.

signcrafters

I agree, Blender is tough to start with but you pay somewhere-
either in time to learn the software or cash for software.

There are some great tutorials for Blender on youtube.

thesignexpert

Lightwave for me just because I have been using it for years. It is pretty pricey and has steep learning curve (especially if you want to get into making decent animations). Google's Sketchup is free and pretty powerful so it may be perfect for your needs.