• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What a beast - Check this rig out!

jiarby

that's the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. Proprietary hardware, filled with oil? All for what??

PC power is cheaper then ever before... the performance boost by supercooling can easily be bought by adding cores or with a grid setup.

Heck... last week I saw a post about a guy building a 186gigaflop PC using a filing cabinet from IKEA. 6 mobos, 6x Quad Core Procs (24 processors), 48gb RAM. Uses 400w (allegedly!)... This kind of thing is much more interesting to me than a proprietary oil soaked rig...

Did you see the DIY version using standard pc hardware, mineral oil and a fish aquarium??
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Or this one with cooking oil:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html

I'd say these guys better live it up on their venture capital money, I doubt there is a market for this type of machine.

animenick65

that's the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time. Proprietary hardware, filled with oil? All for what??

PC power is cheaper then ever before... the performance boost by supercooling can easily be bought by adding cores or with a grid setup.

Heck... last week I saw a post about a guy building a 186gigaflop PC using a filing cabinet from IKEA. 6 mobos, 6x Quad Core Procs (24 processors), 48gb RAM. Uses 400w (allegedly!)... This kind of thing is much more interesting to me than a proprietary oil soaked rig...

Did you see the DIY version using standard pc hardware, mineral oil and a fish aquarium??
http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

Or this one with cooking oil:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/strip-fans,1203.html

I'd say these guys better live it up on their venture capital money, I doubt there is a market for this type of machine.

It's the principle that the whole computer can be submerged in mineral oil and cooled that way.

jiarby

It's the principle that the whole computer can be submerged in mineral oil and cooled that way.

yeah, I understand that, but it has been done before... this is not a new idea. I do not think the performance gain per dollar spent is worth it, especially considering the added hassle of the oil.

It LOOKS cool... but you can do alot with LEDs in a regular chassis and just use air or water cooling. I an a KISS guy... keep it simple. If you are not overclocking any standard fan-cooled chassis will work. I have been favoring the Apeva X-Discovery box lately for system builds.

animenick65

yeah, I understand that, but it has been done before... this is not a new idea. I do not think the performance gain per dollar spent is worth it, especially considering the added hassle of the oil.

It LOOKS cool... but you can do alot with LEDs in a regular chassis and just use air or water cooling. I an a KISS guy... keep it simple. If you are not overclocking any standard fan-cooled chassis will work. I have been favoring the Apeva X-Discovery box lately for system builds.

No crap man. It's a show rig.

cOrKinSA

Wow who would have ever looked ahead in life and say "Hey, how about we stick these components in oil and plug it in!".

CarolinaCabinet

Trying out new systems like this leads to newer ideas though, so pointless or not, I for one am glad the technology is still growing.... Computers are about to drastically change again, and although I do not think this is the path, every idea is worth looking at.

choucove

While right now this computer concept may be "unpractical" or "unnecessary" it is important to understand that the computer world is slowly growing more and more towards liquid cooling in some form for high-performance computing. You can get high-powered gaming computers with certain components that are liquid cooled, this system is taking it one step more to liquid cool other components which before could not be cooled.

The big enemy of a lot of powerful components today is the amount of heat that they can take. Liquid cooling is much more efficient than air cooling. I believe that is why you will see in the future that more systems will actually go more along this path of incorporating liquid cooling to help increase and market faster speeds.

And if you think that oil-immersion or liquid cooling is just something for the gaming geeks to play around with and show off, you may be surprised that one of the worlds most powerful supercomputers was completed this summer and incorporates oil-immersion liquid cooling as well.

jiarby

For "one of the world's most powerful supercomputers" it makes sense... but not for some schmoes overclocked gaming rig.

The trick is to eliminate the resistance itself, not the heat it creates. I think using frequencies of light instead of electrical switches will be the serious next step in technology. Who knows!?

We are really still using 40+yo technology (transistors). They are just smaller . All they are doing now is piling more of them on (multi-core) and putting and closer together (65nanometer lithography) and coming up with tricky ways to cool the whole mess.. (giant heat sinks, water systems, and now "oil immersion")

What's going to be the next transistor?? That will be the next BIG THING... not some radiator for a pile of overheating transistors.

choucove

Rather ironic that this happens to show up on Engadget today:

researchers say new state of matter could extend moores law/

I agree with you, the majority of technology that we use today may seem top-of-the-line and brand new, but really the basis of that technology is old. It's just that the way in which that general principle has developed and advanced. A true change in computing may come in several different forms. Here at the University of Kansas there are numerous courses covering these different topics and issues even, such as using light instead of electrical signals for data transfer, multi-state systems instead of simple binary 1s and 0s, etc.