• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What a joke HP is

parrott

We noticed our optimizer leaking on some material and then realized it had leaked all over the maintenance cartridge. This lead to it getting all over the printheads and clogging/ruining the all of them. Frustrating but that is the half of it.

We diagnosed that a fitting had failed connecting the ink line to the printhead. Called HP (we are out of warranty) and explained what was going on. You cannot replace the fitting you have to replace all the ink lines as it is one big kit (of course). $1700 for the parts and $2000 for a tech to come out in 5-7 business days. I explain that we are fully capable of changing the part just let us buy the part. He explains that he cannot sell the part we have to buy it through their online portal. So I ask for the part number and he explains that he can’t give me that without paying for a service call. He transfers me to credit where I pay for the service call who then transfers me back to the tech who then will give me the part number. Lol.

In summary, HP charges a fee to give you the correct part number that you are ordering from them. What a racket.

We have been a long time user of them and it makes me sick to think how much money we have given them. Their behavior is no surprise, but are so glad that we have moved away from them. They are like dealing with the government. Too big, slow and want nothing but your money. Support these smaller up and coming companies. They are hungry for your business and will treat you like family. Not to mention better machines.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
What up and coming machine companies do you suggest? What did you go with? If I paid for all the service costs you just went through, would you dump your other supplier and use me?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
We noticed our optimizer leaking on some material and then realized it had leaked all over the maintenance cartridge. This lead to it getting all over the printheads and clogging/ruining the all of them. Frustrating but that is the half of it.

We diagnosed that a fitting had failed connecting the ink line to the printhead. Called HP (we are out of warranty) and explained what was going on. You cannot replace the fitting you have to replace all the ink lines as it is one big kit (of course). $1700 for the parts and $2000 for a tech to come out in 5-7 business days. I explain that we are fully capable of changing the part just let us buy the part. He explains that he cannot sell the part we have to buy it through their online portal. So I ask for the part number and he explains that he can’t give me that without paying for a service call. He transfers me to credit where I pay for the service call who then transfers me back to the tech who then will give me the part number. Lol.

In summary, HP charges a fee to give you the correct part number that you are ordering from them. What a racket.

We have been a long time user of them and it makes me sick to think how much money we have given them. Their behavior is no surprise, but are so glad that we have moved away from them. They are like dealing with the government. Too big, slow and want nothing but your money. Support these smaller up and coming companies. They are hungry for your business and will treat you like family. Not to mention better machines.
I'm sorry to tell you but you got screwed. Not by the service fee, I feel like that is fair but the other part...
The real steal was that there is part number just for the FI Tower (the fitting between the heads and ink lines)! The guy you spoke with probably just didn't know, because it's not listed in the service manual, so one needs to know this.
Maybe you can still cancel the order and get this for A LOT cheaper.

If someone needs only the connector, DO NOT order the $1700 ink line!
Order this: Service Part: M0E29-67109 FI Towers Assy SK
~$65

Next time ask us, I would have let you know it for free.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Another way around the paid service call is to say you have a defective Ink cartridge...and you need to get it replaced. Get a tech on the phone and tell him that the ink cart is bad weighs XXX oz, the printhead is under warranty and can't be recovered... whatever..... and Oh, by the way, what is this part # for this item??? As long as you get a Tech on the phone they'll help you out 99% of the time. Their parts portal isn't bad to get thru as long as you know the part #.

parrott

And just to clarify, I have no problem paying for a service call to help diagnose a problem. We diagnosed the issue ourselves and new what part to replace just needed the part number. The fact that you have to pay to get the part number to buy from HP is asinine.

parrott

What up and coming machine companies do you suggest? What did you go with? If I paid for all the service costs you just went through, would you dump your other supplier and use me?

Unfortunately for these small latex machines I am unaware of a solid replacement. There is not enough margin for these smaller companies to build and be competitive.

I was mainly referring to larger machines. We purchased our Digitech flatbed back in august and the support has been incredible. It makes you realize how much of a number you are to HP. Digitech truly appreciates the business and is eager to help and keep you happy. I can say the same for Colex. They have been great over the last 5 years. I am sure companies like Stratojet, vanguard and others are the same way. You are truly a customer and not a number. People should really look into these smaller companies when researching equipment. Invest in these guys that are out there working hard to bring you a great product. HP could care less if you buy from them. It doesn’t even touch their bottom line.

balstestrat

Problem Solver
Thing with HP is that it's a big corpo so sure, you are just a number to them. But I can tell you who cares, the resellers do care. Some more, some less. Buying from Grimco, how about not? You know, you can choose.
Seems like you don't have one that supports you but there's resellers out there who would do anything they could to help you out. Like Mr Fish here.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Unfortunately for these small latex machines I am unaware of a solid replacement. There is not enough margin for these smaller companies to build and be competitive.

I was mainly referring to larger machines. We purchased our Digitech flatbed back in august and the support has been incredible. It makes you realize how much of a number you are to HP. Digitech truly appreciates the business and is eager to help and keep you happy. I can say the same for Colex. They have been great over the last 5 years. I am sure companies like Stratojet, vanguard and others are the same way. You are truly a customer and not a number. People should really look into these smaller companies when researching equipment. Invest in these guys that are out there working hard to bring you a great product. HP could care less if you buy from them. It doesn’t even touch their bottom line.

I gotcha. Yeah man, that Digitech is something else! Those guys are doing it right for sure. This is the one that I have shifted almost all my time into the last 2 years and is starting to make big moves into users now its awesome: Dimense Printer - HP LATEX, SUPER SOURCE | HP LATEX, SUPER SOURCE (thebigfishdigital.com)

parrott

Thing with HP is that it's a big corpo so sure, you are just a number to them. But I can tell you who cares, the resellers do care. Some more, some less. Buying from Grimco, how about not? You know, you can choose.
Seems like you don't have one that supports you but there's resellers out there who would do anything they could to help you out. Like Mr Fish here.

Very true. The dealer we bought through is a great company and they help any way they can. Unfortunately the do not have “techs” on staff only a team that installs the equipment. They help as much as they can but they are not trained as up as technicians.

People like BigFish and end users here are what it’s all about. It’s the wrong attitude but I feel like it is us vs them (HP and maybe other large OEMs). HP has no interest in helping their customers unless you want to get price gouged.

As a business owner I try any way possible to help our customers. Sometimes I can bill for it and sometimes I can’t. Either way I want to help our customers because I think it’s the right thing to do. HP not so much.....

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Ive been having an issue with my 1500 that balstestrat and I had been going over. Cyan emptying out though the pip shows full or partially full. Driving me batty

Eforcer

I've had two HP scanners and one HP printer. NOT ONE but all three failed after the warranty. The printer failed 2 weeks after it's warranty. The scanners failed months afterwards. I will never ever get another HP anything or recommend their products. And by this post, it proves that they still don't care about buyers just cash flow...