• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What a way to start the week!

Jillbeans

Wow, Tim. I'm sorry that you have to go through this aggravation.
I hope everything will be OK eventually.
Love....Jill

Tim Aucoin

Wow, Tim. I'm sorry that you have to go through this aggravation.
I hope everything will be OK eventually.
Love....Jill

Thanks Jill! You know the funny thing is that everything that got damaged was actually OFF the floor. I try and be proactive that way just incase of water on the floor and I never imagined it would literally rain down on top of everything! :ROFLMAO: I can't help but laugh at the situation! On a positive note, I walked in this morning and my production area has never smelled so fresh... it's like the day after a big rain storm... you know that smell? It's nice, and the humidity level is quite comfortable. The big (floor drying) fan has been going all night, so the carpet under my desk is pretty much dried out (albeit stained a little). Now for the fun of digging out all of the receipts for the 28+ rolls of material, the substrate and the beautiful vinyl rack I need to claim. And Border... you're right, I can find most of them archived thanks to the Fujitsu ScanSnap system I put in place way back when! There are a few very old rolls I hardly used (which were probably bad anyhow), but I'll still claim them. Then I need to figure out my hours spent cleaning up, re-ordering, digging up invoices and potential sales loss while down for 2-3 days, come up with an hourly rate that I feel is appropriate to charge and put all of that together. :roll eyes:

I think this all happened to me as a curse because I haven't been posting here on 101 in some while. See what happens!! :ROFLMAO:

Tim Aucoin

7 weeks ago we had water damage. Everything was ruined. Document every second of work you in there. I worked out my deductable. I'm in a small in Canada and my new equipment has been sitting at Customs for over a week. It's a bummer. I feel for you. Insurance keep saying they will pay for the down time but they don't understand all the customers I'm losing. I hope they sort it out quick for you. I never got a phone call from them until the third week. I told them I would get a lawyer ad 2 days latet I had a new adjuster and 24 hrs later a check. I can't wait to be operational again. All the best of luck. Just remember to record your hrs.

That really bites CP... I hope you get back up and running sooner than later! :omg:

laserline

Hope it all works out well, with the cleanup and insurance company.
Good to hear that your equipment wasn't damaged.

kffernandez

I just hate breaking my streak of NEVER making an insurance claim through the business. It's been over 20 years!

i've been thinking about this lately. in your case, since you're actually targeting to never actually making an insurance claim... does it ever make sense to just invest the money [like a rainy day fund of sorts] instead of dropping it all into your insurance premiums? i can't imagine your insurance premiums being a small amount given the value of the items/business you have at your shop.

kelly

Tim Aucoin

i've been thinking about this lately. in your case, since you're actually targeting to never actually making an insurance claim... does it ever make sense to just invest the money [like a rainy day fund of sorts] instead of dropping it all into your insurance premiums? i can't imagine your insurance premiums being a small amount given the value of the items/business you have at your shop.

kelly

Funny you ask this question. I have been thinking for the last 24 hours whether or not my premiums will go up for making a claim. I've NEVER made a claim and you'd think one claim would not raise premiums.... or will it? And yes, I have to consider that when all is said and done too. I guess it all depends on the amount of the claim I have as to whether or not it's worth it. Once I get the estimate of damage on the one piece of equipment, I will have a better idea. Other than the one piece of equipment, it's pretty much just vinyl, paper and some substrate..... :rolleyes:

Suz

Tim, sorry this happened! Hope you are up and running again and being profitable very soon! I had a flood years ago in my shop when a pipe burst after a good snow/freeze. Insurance paid for it no problem. I don't think I rate went any higher afterwards, we had not had any previous claims. We had State Farm at the time. Good luck Tim!!

Tim Aucoin

Tim, sorry this happened! Hope you are up and running again and being profitable very soon! I had a flood years ago in my shop when a pipe burst after a good snow/freeze. Insurance paid for it no problem. I don't think I rate went any higher afterwards, we had not had any previous claims. We had State Farm at the time. Good luck Tim!!

Thanks Suz! My insurer is State Farm!
Had my one supplier in today to assess the piece of equipment that got soaked... the manufacturer has cautioned that even if the machine seems to run fine, because the boards got wet, chances are that 6 or 7 months down the road, THEY WILL FAIL! They suggest replacing the circuit boards, all bearings on the roller ends, all electronic sensors, the compressor, and other critical parts. By the time all is totalled up, the machine will pretty much be a write-off. So, looks like I am definitely filing a claim, as this machine is $16K alone. :omg:

Now to get all of my ducks in a row!
:smile:

Suz

Tim, that is a coinkydink you have State Farm like I did. I'm glad you are well insured. Hey, was there much damage to your building? If so, I'm glad for you that it happened at a time when you have your choice of Contractors to do repair work. It was a horrible time when we had our flood in the shop and it was middle of winter, Day after Christmas in fact. The temps had warmed and people's pipes were bursting left and right, I had a really hard time finding an available Contractor as they were all quite busy fixing everybody's damage. Hope you have everything back to normal very soon Tim!