• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What about sidewalk wraps?

mikefine

We would like to wrap outdoor sidewalk sections, in front of storefronts, with
large format graphic vinyl.

I have seen the material in catalogues and pictures in magazines.
I always thought it was an interesting product -- and now I have a prospect
interested, for a 3-6 month outdoor promotion.

I have wrapped a lot of vehicles but not concrete. Does the concrete vinyl work?
Does it hold up? I am concerned about it peeling, fading, etc.
Does the lamination hold up?

I am particularly concerned about liability issues. (The client will be signing a liability waiver.)

Anybody have experience with this type of project? I would welcome any feedback or suggestions. Thanks....

jasonx

Avery MPI 6121 Street Graphics Film is a revolutionary, new 1.8 mil non-PVC, cellulose film that can be applied to rough surfaces such as concrete, sidewalks, brick etc. for up to 6 months. MPI 6121 Street Graphics film uses “micro-fracture” technology that allows it to fracture and conform to very rough surfaces. The technology also allows moisture to channel through, limiting water pooling and reducing slip hazards.

http://www.na.averygraphics.com/AvGrNA_Newsletter.asp?id=10

I've used a sample never on a long term project. Can only be printed with UV not solvent.

SurfaceSigns

ProWraps

mactac streetwrap is also designated.

1. three things that come to mind to me are:
cleanliness of the substrate (sidewalk). I would hot steam the hell out of it.

2. agressiveness of the adhesive.

3. thickness of the laminate.

there are others such as how long you would warranty it for etc. etc.

i think its a killer great idea and one that no doubt we will see in the future. unfortunately i see a host of legalities in the permitting process of advertising on city sidewalks, etc. just another thing our local, state and federal governements will want to tax us on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can see doing sections or small areas, but if you're going to wrap a whole sidewalk, I don't see how you would be waived in a lawsuit, if you made someone sign this and you don't have a clue as to what material to use, let alone if it exists ??

I would imagine you'd be creating a huge slick for someone's property and you'd have to be the one signing a waiver from their insurance company for fowling up a large pedestrian area.

Can you even propse what would happen in rain, snow or other bad weather conditions.... even with a non-skid laminate ??

phototec

who owns the public sidewalk?

Man, I don't know if I would want the liability, people are LAWSUIT crazy, I just saw on the news a few weeks ago a women is suing McDonald's because her child is over weight, claims because McDonald's offers a toy in the Happy meal, she can't stop her child from wanting to eat there.

http://pagingdrgupta.blogs.cnn.com/2010/12/15/woman-sues-mcdonalds-over-happy-meals/

The sidewalk graphics sounds like a great idea, but I think there are way to many liability issues, who owns the public sidewalk, the city or store owner?

AUTO-FX

Too bad no one here who has done it has responded yet.We tried out mactac street wrap at the GRS hosted wrap seminar. The film has an extremely aggressive adhesive, and with post heat (torch) it conforms very well to the surface. Between the non slip laminate and the texture in the substrate surface, I highly doubt a slip and fall accident is any more likely than on plain concrete, even in rain. In winter, you wouldnt be putting this stuff down anyway, as you need a reasonable air temp to install it, but I might specify to pull it up before winter weather would come along.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
AUTO..............

Would the media you used with a touch work on a wall surface... say like painted cinder block ??

If so, do you think it would last a year ??

wp013

Mike
We do a lot of sidewalk graphics. the Avery material someone else mentioned is printed UV only and must be pressure washed off. It can be used for drive thru areas where cars are driven. It is messy blowing it off. We also use MacTac "Street Wrap" and works well for the money. The overall best product in my opinion but of course 2 times the cost is 3M Sidewalk graphic 3662 vinyl with its very expensive lamiante 3647. The 3M removes the cleanest. never remove during the hot part of the day.
Overall we use more of the MacTac
Wayne Palmer

AUTO-FX

AUTO..............

Would the media you used with a touch work on a wall surface... say like painted cinder block ??

If so, do you think it would last a year ??

Gino,
GRS has some stuff on their wall outside that was done on Mactac Rough Wrap.
The wall it is on is architectural block - very rough - and the stuff works beautifully. More than a year , I think, ask Dave!

rfulford

+1 for 3662 and 3647. 3647 is the best non slip lam I have used. It is impregnated with glass beads and has a texture similar to 20 grit sand paper. You can rest easy if you use this stuff. Unfortunately it is really expensive at over $3 per sqft.

signage

Gino I was asked to help someone that is having difficulty installing 3M 3662 on a wall. I called 3M and they said not to use it on walls!

mikefine

Thank you for the helpful information and feedback. The job is for concrete sidewalks on private property. If we are going to do the job -- I think 3M would be the way to go. Wayne, I just sent you a PM. Michael