• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What adhesive will work on vinyl to painted wood

MIkeyB036

The issue is that it has been raining and very humid. Cool, but not overly cold (we’re in FL). We got the raw wood painted but now the vinyl won’t stick.

Is there a glue that won’t corrode the vinyl?

Or would we be better off taking the sign to an environmentally friendly place and try again?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A better way of saying this would be to ask what kind of paint did you use ?? Brand and specs of it.

Also, what do you mean by raw wood ?? Is this plywood, treated, primed and the list goes on.

MIkeyB036

Yeah, I hear ya. It’s just a plain old sheet of plywood.

Turns out I think it was INDOOR paint. We are going to try to repaint it this afternoon, or lightly sand it.

In our little town we weren’t able to find another can of paint today. Sounds weird, I know, but true!

We’ll see what transpires.

Another question: could the vinyl be too old?

MIkeyB036

Well, we bought more paint. Enamel, spray paint, believe it or not and it worked!

I would have tried to GLUE the letters on without the suggestion from signage that it was the paint.

Thank you.

Chris Keena

Well, we bought more paint. Enamel, spray paint, believe it or not and it worked!

I would have tried to GLUE the letters on without the suggestion from signage that it was the paint.

Thank you.
No eggshell or matte paint. Curing has to happen as well after primed and painted.

MIkeyB036

We repainted the board. The spray enamel paint has allowed the vinyl to stick. We are battling the elements! It's rainy and humid...we don't usually work on stuff this big, and we had to do it outdoors, so that exacerbated our problems.

Also, under a time crunch, as we are trying to get this done by tomorrow in order to leave town for Thanksgiving vaca. We are battling it, but it seems like it is working. Slow go, as now the forecast says some rain moving in later this morning, so we're stuck waiting until it moves out....late afternoon.

<sigh>