• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What am I doing wrong with Coreldraw X5? Please help!

JBowen747

I've been designing some stuff in the new Coreldraw X5 and when I save a file as a CDR or AI file I can't get them to import in my flexsign pro 8.5v1. What am I doing wrong I tried Savin them as a older version and even reduced the size of the design before saving, its making my flexi crash or say it can't be opened and/or it acts like it's goin to import and once the % bar gets finished in flexi it dont show the picture. Please help me if any of you guys have had the same problem.

signmeup

Try this; draw a red circle with no outline in X5. No effects, drop shadows, gradients etc. Make sure it's red. Copy it in X5 and then paste it into Flexi. Don't argue.. just do it. If it works you can figure out the rest. If it doesn't work.. well you're not out much.

signage

I believe that X5 is newer than Flexi 8.5. Usually when this is the case programs do not recognize newer technology! Just a thought.

Edserv

We use Adobe products. I was a die-hard Corel user, but have found that most of our clients use Adobe products which we've learned how to properly import into Flexi. I can't remember the last time a client sent a Corel file, which is too bad, because I really like Corel products. But we do have issues once in a while with Adobe AI/EPS into Flexi. There's a learning curve!
Good luck!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I've been designing some stuff in the new Coreldraw X5 and when I save a file as a CDR or AI file I can't get them to import in my flexsign pro 8.5v1. What am I doing wrong I tried Savin them as a older version and even reduced the size of the design before saving, its making my flexi crash or say it can't be opened and/or it acts like it's goin to import and once the % bar gets finished in flexi it dont show the picture. Please help me if any of you guys have had the same problem.

Export out of Corel as a CDX file. This will come right in to Flexi. Note that CDX handles vector objects well but sometimes drops the ball on gradients, drop shadows, and bitmaps.

The silliness of exporting out of Corel in a format that's foreign to Corel and then trying to import that file into Flexi in a format equally foreign to Flexi should be obvious to even the casual observer.

Try for a format that's native to at least one of the participants.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Export as an EPS file, that is the encapusated post script version (thus eps) and will be fully compatible with flexi. Also, convert all outlines to curves and all editable shapes to outlines BEFORE exporting.

J Hill Designs

The silliness of exporting out of Corel in a format that's foreign to Corel and then trying to import that file into Flexi in a format equally foreign to Flexi should be obvious to even the casual observer.

Try for a format that's native to at least one of the participants.

...cdr is native

signmeup

I recall some time back of a poster who could not cut a particular file. The file turned out to be corrupt. Have you tried a simple file? Like maybe a single red circle? You may have an issue with gradients or drop shadows or some such. Or you may have a corrupt file.

Did you try what I posted in post #3?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
My copy of Flexi reads both .cdr and .cdx files.

Flexi and CDR files generally is a crapshoot. Every now and then, when the planets are properly aligned apparently, it manages to successfully read a CDR file. It always reads CDX files. Hence export a CDX.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Flexi and CDR files generally is a crapshoot.

it's almost always a crap shoot. I don't think there has been one time that I have successfully imported a cdr into anything that didn't require massive fixing ... I almost always just resort to eps so I can import into adobe as well ... cdx is about the same results with adobe as cdr is with flexi.