• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question What am I worth?

Jeremiah

As I read these comments, I understand there are different views . Those of the old way of life and those of the Entitlement generations.

ikarasu

You can force their hand into giving you more money than they want - But thats because they need you right now. You can sure bet they'll be looking for your replacement, and as soon as they find one...you'll be out the door.

Talk it over with them, ask them what they see your worth is. If theres still room to grow for you at the shop. If they pay you $25 an hour and your happy with it...will you be happy with it in 5 years when theres no new positions or responsibilities for you to take on?

Ask for what you think is fair. Don't go in saying XX shop is hiring and pays this amount... Tell them you did some research, you think based on your responsibilities you're worth XX. If they cant afford it... It doesn't have to all be in hourly pay, Ask for an extra week of vacation or other things that benefit you, but cost them nothing. Ask for a title bump - It'll look good on your resume if you ever do quit. Ask for more responsibility... Learn the job from the inside out, from every aspect. Then when you move up as high as you can and feel like it's not the right fit anymore because your bored / not challenged... take what you know and start your own company.

AMGearhart

As an hourly employee, I'm going to chime in with my 2 cents.

I am probably underpaid for my experience and skills and work load. But I have a great employer. And having had bad employers, I value that. I literally use to work for a company that had me contemplating crashing my car on the way into work. Now, I love my job and enjoy going to work. Also, I get good benefits. And nice perks as surprises. Yeah, I'm probably too loyal, but I earn enough to pay my bill and save too. And I'm happy. (Seriously, I have had some hellish employers).

If your boss can't pay you what you feel you are worth and you like working there, consider having him add benefits. Like more paid vacation days, paid sick days, more holidays off, bereavement days, a % of any customers you bring in... whatever appeals to you. It was vacation days for me, cause I love to travel. And it sounds like you work at a small enough place that they'd be open to ideas.