Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your top sales and marketing strategies for the sign industry?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by WhatsYourSign?, Jan 31, 2019.

1. WhatsYourSign?

WhatsYourSign? Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Virginia
    Finally, a thread where I can contribute something vs. asking for guidance!

We're constantly trying new things, but we've seen positive results with the below strategies:
    • Setting up Google Alerts to let us know any time a company is moving offices, relocating to the area, rebranding, or has been purchased

• Providing free "coming soon" signs to businesses we see with offices under construction

• Posting completed jobs on Facebook and tagging our clients

• Cold-knocking and dropping off marketing materials to area businesses

• Email marketing

Things we'll be testing in the near future (that I'd love to hear about your results with if you've tried it in the past):
    • Direct mail with coupon incentives

• Billboard advertising (we've done some of this, but are going to ramp this up and do it more heavily)
    Things we haven't tested and are not planning to, but interested in hearing experiences from those that have:
    • TV

• Radio

Tags:
  2. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Persistent and targeted sales calls with a purpose will yield the most. The coming soon signs seem like a good idea too.
    Radio, tv, direct mail and billboards are a total waste of money. Even before the internet, radio and tv were ineffective.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. WhatsYourSign?

WhatsYourSign? Member

Jul 13, 2018
    Virginia

Who are you targeting with your calls? Small business owners? Marketing and/or facilities or professionals at medium-sized companies?

4. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    Thanks for the great marketing ideas. We've been lucky to keep busy and growing from repeat and word of mouth clients over the years but I want to step things up this year.

Can you elaborate on the Google alerts portion? This seems like a great automated way to stay on top of things.

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  5. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    word of mouth here. Im still chasing new businesses by contacting them for quotes on new construction. I check local commercial leasing companies websites under their "news" tab and see who they have leased to. That has been most successful over the years. I have noticed the website does not generate traffic even though its on FB and a link to it in our emails. People just dont pay attention like they used to its almost like they dont take time. They would rather ask questions than do their own research.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mmblarg

mmblarg Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Rapid City, SD
    It might be a bit common knowledge, but wrapping a company car/truck gets quite a bit of attention without the billboard fees. A lot of our clients come back to get more signs after a vehicle wrap because they had a spike in business (one client even used three different phone numbers - regular business phone listed on their website, one listed only on a billboard, and one listed only on his vehicle. He was able to track how much traffic he got based on who was looking at what advertisement.)

7. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Why spin your wheels running around trying to "PUSH" sales, when you can work on how you receive those inquiries?

What I mean by PUSH is you going out and putting a message in someone's ear when they are not seeking out your services. This would be like radio, sales calls, tv ads, mailers etc.

Work on how to receive those inquiries...those people actively seeking your services.

I like to focus on SEO and web presence. When someone wants a sign, they jump on Google, it used to be the phone book but not anymore. Try to get top position on Google, make your website superior, get on social media. Make sure your branding looks good and is cohesive across ALL platforms including online, business cards, flyers, vehicles, storefront signs/graphics. Make sure your branding inspires confidence, cohesiveness and professionalism. I don't know about you, but I can tell when someone puts thought and time into their online presence and it leaves the impression that they have it together and would do good having my business.

Have IMPRESSIVE and GOOD sign designs and photos online so people can see that you do good work ON TOP of having a stunning website.

If you visit locations, make sure your branding matches the graphics on your trucks/vehicles. Most people don't go to a "sign store", they have people come to them so your impression starts with your vehicle. I inspire confidence by having a nice, newer-model service truck, branding that matches what they saw on the website and whats on my business card and e-mail signature. The truck is (as best as I can keep it) clean, meticulously organised, fully-stocked and it shows that I mean business. I have a service-body truck, so when I show up to a bid I pop open the doors to get my ruler and color-chart, exposing all the tools / supplies to let them know that I can handle whatever they throw at me.

All those things will put you in the lead when people are searching you out. Capture those people in that moment VS going out a selling them on something that they are not actively looking for.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2