• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What banner to use for exterior use?

Gator Graphic

I'm getting a quote ready in case their old banner is not any good. It's a 33 1/2" x 71" banner. I'm replacing 6 11" x 14" portraits, their removing them. They want a banner to last the elements of weather. What vinyl would I use, Oracal 751?
Thanks,
MaMa Jean :Coffee:
Gator Graphics

R08

You're question is a little confusing?
What are you printing with and what is it exactly are you doing?

Gator Graphic

The previous own made a banner for a photographer. They display it outside for 6months or so. I'm having the portraits reprinted on adhesive backed vinyl (Like the original portaits were done.). If they need a new banner made, which banner holds up outside the best with vinyl lettering on it.
So for the confusion, that's where my brain is right now. So much to learn and no income until I do.

GoodPeopleFlags

How long do they want it to last? Banners shouldn't be used for permanent signs.

Oh, 6 months? What size is it? 10oz material would work well for a few months.

Billct2

Yea, first I'd have discussion about their expectations.
A banner is not a permanent sign.
They got the same banner from someone else and now they want to get one from you?

R08

6 months?... Most banners will last longer than that if they are out of the wind. Is it in a window? Will be in the sun and wind?

R08

It is completely uncovered in the wind, rain, sun in South Louisiana.

I think the best deal for your level of knowledge is to give your parameters to a digital printing wholesaler and have them print it for you on the appropriate material.

There are some advertisers at the bottom of this page. You would save yourself a lot of headaches and they aren't really that expensive.

jiarby

So you are printing portraits on something like 3651, then mounting them on a vinyl banner??

Why not print directly on 13oz JetFlex, then ClearShield it?? You could do all sorts of finishing things to make the banner stronger (reinforced hem, gussets, etc..)

Banners can last a long time outdoors, but it has to be hung right. Let it flex but not flap in the wind. How you hang it is more important than what you print it on.

Gator Graphic

I'm having the printing done by a reproduction place here in town. I will attach the portraits and then go over them with Frog Juice ( that's what the previous owner had done). I've got a Roland Color Camm Pro PC-600. The previous owner said the print heads or tape was no longer sold and it was very expensive to print on this machine.

Thanks everyone for the info you so generously give to newbies like me. It is very much appreciated.

Sorry it took me so long to reply, was working elsewhere in the shop.