• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What best RGB setting for profilemaker

lephot

Well I was wondering what setting you were using to build RGB profiles in profilemaker ?
Perceptual rendering and viewing light source are probably the points I wonder most .. but any suggestion is welcome !

Thanks for your help.

rfulford

This is what I use.

Profile size = Large
Perceptual Rendering intent = Neutral gray
Gamut Mapping = Logo Colorful
Viewing Light Source = D50

lephot

OK thanks to you.
Well I was using for the perceptual rendering the gray color paper. Any idea what difference it makes with the neutral gray ?
for the light source I was also using D50 !
Thanks again !

Well I was wondering what setting you were using to build RGB profiles in profilemaker ?
Perceptual rendering and viewing light source are probably the points I wonder most .. but any suggestion is welcome !

Thanks for your help.

I'm just curious. When you say RGB profiles, are you profiling a large-format printer driven from a RIP, or a small-format driver-based device like a desktop inkjet or laser printer?

eye4clr

I'm just curious. When you say RGB profiles, are you profiling a large-format printer driven from a RIP, or a small-format driver-based device like a desktop inkjet or laser printer?

This is an important question. I was wondering the same thing.

Neutral grey strives for just what it says. Paper grey allows the color of the substrate (paper) to affect the greys.

sjm

This is an important question. I was wondering the same thing.

Neutral grey strives for just what it says. Paper grey allows the color of the substrate (paper) to affect the greys.

Presuming the illuminant used to build the profile and the viewing source is at the same illuminant.

If it is not you will see a colour cast in your grays.

lephot

Fine Art Papers

Hi there,
Thanks again for your inputs..

I however have another "silly" question ... do you make any difference in creating an RvB profile for a white photo paper or for a warm tone Fine Art paper like Hahnemühle or Premier Art papers ?
the white point is much warmer with the Fine art Paper .. So I just wonder ?

rfulford

... do you make any difference in creating an RvB profile for a white photo paper or for a warm tone Fine Art paper like Hahnemühle or Premier Art papers ?

If you think that a neutral gray shifts appearance of the grey scale around the 1/4 tones, I would say yes. This will usually be the case with any paper with a noticeable color cast.

sjm

Hi there,
Thanks again for your inputs..

I however have another "silly" question ... do you make any difference in creating an RvB profile for a white photo paper or for a warm tone Fine Art paper like Hahnemühle or Premier Art papers ?
the white point is much warmer with the Fine art Paper .. So I just wonder ?

Consider paying closer attention to your GCR and UCR generation. That's the key regardless of what media you use.

eye4clr

True, there is no black generation in an RGB profile. It is about as simple as it gets.

Yes, you would likely need an unique profile for the artsy papers since they have very unique results for density and white point.