Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What can I get for brushed aluminum substrate with a foam or whatever backer?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by signmeup, Oct 5, 2012.

1. signmeup

signmeup Major Contributor

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    I need some 14" Gemini letters (about 64 pc.) in brushed aluminum with the foam backer for interior use. The problem is I need them up in 2 weeks and Gemini says at least 4 weeks lead time. I can cut them out myself if I have to or find someone else who can route them for me...

Anyone here make them? Or know of a product I can make them from. I can use brushed aluminum Dibond but the customer is expecting a bit thicker letter like 3/8" or so. These will be mounted up high enough that no one can touch them if that helps.

Adrian

Tags:
  2. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
    You might check your area for a supplier of CHEMETAL. They have a wide variety of brushed aluminum sheets approx. .030 I believe. The most commonly stocked for brushed aluminum I think is '#902 Brushed Aluminum' 4'x8' sheets. Very nice stuff to work with. You can lam it to substrate of choice using contact cement of choice. We use it quite often for interior as well as exterior applications without any issues.
    chemetal.com will get you to sample images, numbers and suppliers.

3. 2B

2B Moderator

May 5, 2011
    TX
    try checking out foamboard (or like varies), I know they have several types that have the alum skin.

4. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks Guys. So making your own seems like the only game in town.

It looks like Gemini is the only game in town for letters. I can't find anyone else... just Gemini re-sellers.

5. SignosaurusRex

SignosaurusRex Major Contributor

Mar 7, 2007
    Washington State
  6. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Thanks Rex. I did find that but they only want to sell it in lots of 6 sheets. Maybe someone on here keeps this stuff and could route some for me?

7. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    scott sign systems does interior display letters...might check their lead time (although recently they've been alot slower than gemini, so...)

8. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA
    How many sheets do you think you will need?

9. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    Never mind guys... the customer has decided to wait for Gemini. Thanks for all the help.

10. skyhigh

skyhigh Major Contributor

Jun 16, 2005
    PA

:thread

Thanks Rex. I got to checking, and my supplier carries this product. I just sent them an email order for 2 sheets.

11. signmeup

May 5, 2005
    Canada
    That stuff does look like it would do the job. Keep us posted sky