• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What caused this?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Failure due to:
1. Improper installation?
2. Cheap materials?
3. Improper finishing?
4. Vandalism?
5. Divine Intervention?.........

wayne k
guam usa

AP photo

Attachments

• banner-fail.jpg
    banner-fail.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 118
T

TonyC

Without a close up picture, it appears the banner was possibly screwed to the building directly through the material without installing grommets. The screws may have started a tear that caused this. That is a large banner for this type of installation.

I have done a few this large for temporary display but I had the pole pockets made larger than normal. I then put 1x4 lumber in the pockets, rolled the banner once and then screwed to the structure.

rjssigns

Looks like it was pulled drum tight too. Very good way to find the weak point and cause rapid failure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I pick #5. :unclesam:

Nothing no human would/could do..... would make that banner remain on the wall. There are so many hidden problems that we'll never know what happened. :rolleyes:

Techman

the far right grommet was too tight.It actually cut part way thru the material. All it took was some time and a little stress. Whamo its done..

Floow a line from the far left grommet all the ay across and one will see that the teat started right in line. And the tear follows that same path..

2B

Looks like it was pulled drum tight too. Very good way to find the weak point and cause rapid failure.

the far right grommet was too tight.It actually cut part way thru the material. All it took was some time and a little stress. Whamo its done..

+1 looks like directly screwed to the building and had no give. this type of install needs springs at the grommets for flexing