• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What causes the printer to syphon empty the ink cartridges?

gabagoo

What causes the printer to syphon empty the ink cartridges? I found my Mimaki jv3 130 spII with no cyan ink this morning. Ironically Friday the screen on the cyan ink went missing and I still have not found it. When I checked the print this morning and saw no cyan I was convinced the screen was stuck to the head, but not.... The cyan ink cartridges were bled dry. have a tech coming this afternoon to check the yellow pump, which I believe is shared with the cyan ink, so maybe that has something to do with it as 3 months ago the machine syphoned out all my yellow ink....Just strange,,, anyone know what causes this?

artbot

one way is if you pulled a vacuum at the pump/waste side of the printer to clear a clog or help prime but do not then move the carriage to the side for a second, the vacuum will sustain itself and pull all of the ink through the printer.

i'd suppose there may be other scenarios that might cause this but they are always related to negative pressure and the link between the heads and the cap not being broken momentarily. the printer feeds ink on a very light gravity/positive pressure balance. so any added energy will allow all of the ink to just flow right through the printer.

gabagoo

I have never pulled ink, but I suspect it has something to do with my missing cyan screen somehow. Maybe the head creates a vacuum when the screen is missing

rjssigns

I have never pulled ink, but I suspect it has something to do with my missing cyan screen somehow. Maybe the head creates a vacuum when the screen is missing

Bingo. With the screen missing it allows the mesh to touch the head creating a capillary action. In rare instances the mesh under the screen can swell and create the same scenario.

gabagoo

Bingo. With the screen missing it allows the mesh to touch the head creating a capillary action. In rare instances the mesh under the screen can swell and create the same scenario.

...it figures... I have spent so much time trying to find it, but it has absolutely vanished. Checked all around the wiper area with a good led flashlight and all around the capping station. Checked the floor and all the bits around the head...gone baby gone!!! Why do I not have a spare set of these?

Your Cappung adjustments are probably out of wack and the Capping Station os not pulling away from the Heads after pumping and thus you've set up a siphon.

Go to #ADJUST => CAPPING ADJUST and check the ABSORB POSITION. There should be a gap between the caps and head (like 1-2mm). If there's no gap, then there's your problem.