• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What causes this???

AD&M

This is an 8 inch long file. The vinyl came with the cutter and seems like 1 or 2 mil. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong? Please help :)

Attachments

• 100_8423.jpg
    100_8423.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 92

Shovelhead

You think that you're cutting a little too deep there??
Could be cutting it twice (objects on top of objects).
Where you watching it?

:popcorn:

Marlene

too much weight on the blade or a dull blade might cause this. has it always cut like this or is this something new that is happening?

It also helps others to help you if you post the machine info, vinyl info and stuff like that.

slappy

Take your blade out and run your finger tip over it, you should barely feel the tip of the blade let anly probably see it sticking out. Turn your force down also.

AD&M

Thanks guys. Its a Roland C-60. I have no clue what I am doing.... I thought I adjusted the blade correctly but it sounds like its cutting way too deep. I will adjust it and get back to you. Thanks so MUCH!!! I am really new at this obviously!!! :)

mountainmang

Thanks guys. Its a Roland C-60. I have no clue what I am doing.... I thought I adjusted the blade correctly but it sounds like its cutting way too deep. I will adjust it and get back to you. Thanks so MUCH!!! I am really new at this obviously!!! :)
you need to just see about 1/32 of the blade and adjust your force from there :thumb:

AD&M

Well, here is with the blade almost all the way up. Man it was way too deep before!!!

It still pulled up a few letters edges a little, is that normal? i have no idea how old the blades are. The one I used for this photo seemed new though.

I also slowed the blade down all the way I think.

Even though the decal is 8 inches, seems like this is as small detail as I will be able to get.

Weeding took about 5 minutes. Its pretty much my first time.

Any suggestions? The guy wants 12 of these, whats a fair price? I have no idea. Since I am just getting started I have no clue what to charge. PM me a decent price please. PRETTY PLEASE :)

Attachments

• 100_8425.jpg
    100_8425.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 97

cOrKinSA

You can't just let it cut "good enough". Are you the original owner of this Roland or did you buy it from someone? I would replace that blade and start new and then make adjustments because from where we stand we can keep throwing advice at you until were all blue in the face.

Then this thing you are doing such as slowing the machine down. When tuned just right you should never have to slow down your machine unless of RARE cases. Heck I've cut .25" vinyl on a Summa without problems before!

Lastly we have pricing. You need to factor design time and labor to get anywhere close to what you would charge. Two things come to mind to help you with pricing. The first is to buy a SignCraft Pricing Guide to give you an idea on where to begin and secondly become a Contributing Member on this forum will greatly help you to compare on what you learned from the book. Being a "Preppie" on this site will only take you so far but since you seem like a person willing to learn-to-earn, then I advise you to become a Member to gain much more knowledge.

Good Luck!

AD&M

Thanks everyone!!! I will look into a membership. I am also going to buy new blades. I wasnt sure if I should slow it down or not, but it was in the advanced options for the cutter. Thanks again!!

Can anyone advise me on thetype of blades I should get? and what types aere good for what kind of cutting?

Mike

S'N'S

Mike, while you have the blade holder out replacing the blade, insert the new blade and drag the blade holder across some scrap vinyl by hand, the blade should cut thru the vinyl and lightly score the backing. Replace the blade holder and do some test cuts and adjust the down force until you can cut and weed cleanly.
Cheers Gary

S

scarface

You think that you're cutting a little too deep there??
Could be cutting it twice (objects on top of objects).
Where you watching it?

:popcorn:

Looks to be too much weight on the blade and yes, watch to see if there are objects on top of objects, this is a annoying little problem every now and then that makes you cringe :noway:

theskipman_98

I agree it could be blade downforce is too high, or double cuts, but
another time I've seen something like this is if there are too many nodes on a run. If the file was traced or just started from a bad file. Too many nodes without smoothing cause the blade to do a ...I guess like a sawing effect.
Is the blade moving smoothly or is it constantly changing direction (sort of like the blade is vibrating back and forth) on what should be a straight run?