• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What causing these Reflective printed stripe peeling, only where they are hand-cut

mrbid

I'm wanting you opinion why these stripes are peeling only where they are cut by hand? All the rest of the graphics seem to be sticking fine.
They where printed on Oracal 5600 reflective on eco-solvent w-64 printer and laminated with oracal 290 with a day between printing and laminating. Vehicles were new 2021's
in controlled garage for at least 2 days when applying stripes. They sat in our lot for at least a week before being picked up and they looked fine when they left. It has been about 2 1/2 or 3 months since they where done.

I had a similar issue with some different police cars this year and same material but not the same roll. Those cars started peeling/curling at door seems too.
And those cars never even moved from where I did cars for over a month or more, as they where preparing cars to put into service. Those cars were never pressured washed or washed during that same time.
Sat in a controlled environment garage the whole time. I ended up putting clear on ever door seem wrapping into door area to hole striped down and I'm hopping they never have another issue with those car.

Attachments

• 20210826_152131.jpg
    20210826_152131.jpg
    442.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 20210817_095438.jpg
    20210817_095438.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 20210817_095524.jpg
    20210817_095524.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 119

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
That is usually from the surface of the car being dirty.
You have to get a toothbrush or scrubby or something and get in there with your cleaners and make sure there is no oily residue from the vehicles being delivered, and if they are brand new, as in delivered by big truck from somewhere, where they were manufactured, they will have road grime and God knows what all over them.
These places will come loose before anything else will, even if shrinkage is very minimum.
You can't build a house without a strong foundation.

mrbid

They where done dry.
We did/do clean the cars, including jam area, before application.

On the vehicles that had been setting in garage for a couple months after we did them and then started to peel/curl. The first thing I did to stop the problem was to trim them back onto the face/flat surface approx. 1/8". Only to come back a week later and see the ones I had trimmed back to be lifting and curling again. That's when I put the clear on stripe end area and ran the clear into the door jam areas.

Thank so far for the feed back.

We stock Oracal 5600 for other jobs because we need the over 48" size.
But I've been wonder problem is the Oracal 5600.
I've used 3m 5100 series for many years and no issues like this. But then again I was printing them with a gerber edge and maybe i'll either changing to 3m 5100 to print on solvent or back to printing on my edge.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It is the vinyl. Oracal reflective does NOT like curves at all. I used it for years at a previous sign shop and we always fought this. I went to another shop that used 3M 280 series reflective and have never had this issue since.