• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What cleaner do you use before you wrap?

showcase 66

I am just curious to know what everyone uses to clean the vehicles before you do your wrap. I have used rapid prep in the past but a couple places around here just use soap and water and some tell me they use denatured alcohol to remove any build up.

So what do you use?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Xylene to get any problem gunk like oil or tar, iso alcohol after for everything else.

I am just curious to know what everyone uses to clean the vehicles before you do your wrap. I have used rapid prep in the past but a couple places around here just use soap and water and some tell me they use denatured alcohol to remove any build up.

So what do you use?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We wash the dirt off with soap and water and then use 70% to clean the vehicles. tough areas, we'll use prepsol.

We use 91% on sign substrates.

mikey-Oh

Goo Gone's a decent sub if alcohol can't strip it....
Did you know Xylene(Xylol) can strip one's pore's of the ability to produce oil?!
Some wicked stuffs.

I typical prep a wrap with white vinegar then wipe down with a 30%mix of 70%rubbing alcohol.

skyhigh

what dosen't kill ya, only makes you stronger.

I've never used it on a car, but I do etch aluminum with the stuff.
Use in fresh air & rubber gloves.

skyhigh

artbot
etching aluminum....a term used for cleaning and degreasing...and etching, so the paint can take a bite.

Although I understand you can do some "decorative" etching on aluminum also (I'm guessing that is where your mind was going?), I don't think zylene would be the product you would use.

phototec

Goo Gone's a decent sub if alcohol can't strip it....
Did you know Xylene(Xylol) can strip one's pore's of the ability to produce oil?!
Some wicked stuffs.

I typical prep a wrap with white vinegar then wipe down with a 30%mix of 70%rubbing alcohol.

Hey that's what I was taught to use by Justin Pate at the Mutoh Hands on Scool of Wrap last year.

:thumb: