• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What cleaner do you use before you wrap?

artbot

@skyhigh

as far as that kind of etching goes (prepping). i use denatured alcohol or acetone. but it's really more how it's applied than which is better. a certain amount of exposure and removal is necessary in order to prevent condensation on the substrate. if done right, the dyne will be perfect. other wise the condensation will cause a film which quickly oxidizes, causing bad adhesion.

skyhigh

but it's really more how it's applied than which is better. a certain amount of exposure and removal is necessary in order to prevent condensation on the substrate

can you expand on that?

A question about alcohol. Some of you say you use 70% and some say 91% What is the difference? What makes one better than the other?

I generally use 70%, but I have used 91% some lately because that's what I had on hand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The answer is in the numbers. One is 70% while the other is 91%. Kinda like a real beer vs. a lite beer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We seldom use 70%. We use it as a mild cleaner, but we don't rely on it. In other words, we almost always use 91% but when we're in a pinch we'll use the 70%, but we'll use extra elbow grease and whatnot, cause it's not as strong.

In addition, most of our flat-stock is flatbed printed where the stronger stuff is needed. On a vehicle, we use whatever we have laying around. I should've been a little more explicit, but I thought it would be a known fact in this level of wraps and such. Sorry for the confusion.

OldPaint

real nice of you wrapers to treat some bodies NEW CAR to XYLENE!!! AND STUPID!!!
here is a case of not knowing what your doing.
XYLENE is what is in PAINT STRIPER!!!! you wipe it on a car today, the paint absorbs it. now you put vinyl over top of it, sealing in the XYLENE. just hope you still aint in business when they decide to take off the vinyl. do a test panel for yourself. get a painted sheet of metal, wipe it with xylene, cover it with vinyl leave it for 3-6 months.......see what happens to the paint.

cdiesel

Xylene doesn't hurt paint when used correctly. Of course just with any solvent, you don't want to leave it on the paint. An obviously you wouldn't (couldn't--as in won't stick) wrap over it. Darn wrapers...

Gino posted the correct way to clean--Soap & water to _wash_ the vehicle, solvent cleaners for any stuborn grease, tar, adhesive, etc, then IPA for a final wipe.