• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What CNC Do You have?

S

Sign-Man Signs

We've decided to buy/lease a CNC. Got any in put? Pros and Cons? Who's the best? Best software? Router bits?

dman0427

We have a shopbot PRSalpha. Its a good machine for the price. Shopbot is probably the most affordable for the kind of machine you get. Its not a fancy machine that has automatic tool changing and stuff, but it gets the job done.

We mostly cut Sign Letters: Foam, Plastic & Metal Faced. So we havn't really needed the software for V-Carving yet.

But we are about to get the software that now COMES with a new shopbot for doing the V-carve stuff.

It should be interesting. I cut a sample off of the demo yesterday and its pretty awesome.

The bits we use are Onsrud. Hartlauer Bits is the way to go. They have good prices & fast shipping. Good guys that know their stuff over there.

Columbia Signs

If you are truly thinking of getting a CNC machine, this is a GREAT workshop to attend prior to picking out your machine......

http://www.imaginationcorporation.ca/workshops1.html

You will walk away from that 3 day workshop with everything you need to know about machines, software and the limits of what these CNC machines can do in the sign industry. The class fills up fast, so it's best to get a hold of him soon. His name is Dan and he's one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

Another plus to the workshop is you'll learn about other sign techniques too. He gives you access to all his knowledge and shows you anything you want to see in the shop.

3dsignco

My Shopbot is Over 8 years old and has been nothing but a Workhorse for me.
I just bought the new Gecko Controller box and getting ready to overhaul the machine with a new table, Bearings and a few other items but I bet I get another 8 to 10 years out of it.
Its not the prettiest machine but it does exactly what I tell it to do.

What ever machine you buy make sure you allot some money for good software. I am partial to Artcam but many people also like Enroute 3. I cut my teeth on Enroute 2 and was never impressed.
If you are newbie to the Router world Dan does put on a Good meet for the Enroute crowd. He I do differ in design taste but he is a very talented designer and a person could learn a lot from him.

James Chrimes

My cnc was built by a friend of mine. I got it when he moved south because he did not want to haul it with him. I bought it for $4000.00

Attachments

• cnc.jpg
    cnc.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 154

k.a.s.

We have a Multicam that works very well, I also looked at and have heard good things about Axiz. I think a Gerber is a good machine but I feel it is a little overpriced. I don't know anything about a ShopBot but when looking at them, to me they just look less sturdy than some others. But people say they work good so I could be wrong.

I would'nt buy a small one, if your going to do it you will want at least a 4'x8' table, we have a 5'x10' and I am glad we have one that big. Look at the vaccum system that they have, make them do a cut out of a 2x3 piece of Poly-Metal or MDO board on a 5x10 table and see how well it holds down smaller stuff. You want the strongest vaccum you can get.

As far as software, we run Artcam and it works well the amount of things it's capable of is amazing. Remember the router is only as good as what its told to do. Good Luck!

Kevin

wimbley

CNC Tables

We have a very old RMII and a Z7 both from camtech. Had quite a handful of customer service issues with the Canadian based company, so I wish we could say better things about them. Know of a couple shops that have shopbot and are impressed with the quality at a lower end of the cost spectrum.

We are about to get a third table, but haven't quite narrowed it down yet, but it won't be a camtech machine.

We have run Artcam for a long time and it suits us just fine...

Take Care!

Last edited:

SignManiac

I'm running a 5'x10 Multicam. It's going on eight years old and still running strong. Look into a new Texas company at www.ez-router.com
They appear to have a very nice quality built machines at a very reasonable price.

iSign

I ordered my 5x10 multicam just last week... after months of very intensive preparation & research.

I will vouce for Dan's class as Columbia Signs mentioned. Extremely useful information for you right at this juncture. For what you will spend on any router... and extra $1500 plus travel expenses is a small price to pay for the exposure you will have to several people with router production experience in their shops.

Much better than just talking to salesmen.

Typestries

have a gerber Sabre 408 for 8 years and love it, a friend has 2 multicams and loves his machines. I don't cut much aluminum, which my friend does, so I can say that the multicam mister with the pump is a better setup than the gerber system, to which we modified and added a pump to make it easier and better. Does that mean that the Gerber won't cut aluminum? No, it just means that the trico mister stinks, in comparison to the pump system multicam uses. Also, you really want a spindle motor and not a router motor.

seattle

Anyone have a Techno router? There is an ad on this site somewhere for these. After looking at their website they look pretty nice.

We have a sabre and cut everything withit.

Oh yeah one thing to consider is power for these. The gerber sabre needs a 3-phase power while the Multicam doesnt need so much, I forget what they do need.

iSign

Oh yeah one thing to consider is power for these. The gerber sabre needs a 3-phase power while the Multicam doesnt need so much, I forget what they do need.

There is more than one Multicam, & I don't know about the other ones, but the 3000 series is a demanding machine.

Like your Gerber, or any other 3-phase router, you can run it with a phase converter, but this will cost more in electricity, so keeping it at 3 phase is best.

I'm in the process of bringing in new wiring & a 100 amp panel box for over $2K, just to run the 5.5 HP spindle, and the 20 HP vacuum hold-down, and my 7.5 HP compressor. These three items will just about max out a 100 amp panel, where I've run my entire shop for the last 11 years on just a 100 amp panel with room to spare.

k.a.s.

My Multi-Cam needs 3 phase, but since we are .25 mi off the road we are using a phase converter b/c it was more cost effective than paying to have 3 phase brought back here.

Kevin

SignManiac

My Multicam was set up for 3 phase in the old building and the new shop only had single phase. I ended up buying two phase converters because of the cost to bring in 3 phase.

Incidentally the phase converters are for the 20 hp vacuum hold down and the dust collectors. The spindle was rewired for single phase. It can run either way.

seattle

I am 90% sure that the Multicam 1000 series does not need 3-phase. I was talking to a distributor and that was one of the pluses of Multicam over gerber.

MVIP

Anyone have a Techno router? There is an ad on this site somewhere for these. After looking at their website they look pretty nice.

We have a sabre and cut everything withit.

I have a 4 x 8 Techno LC. Runs Great! Solid machine and great reliability. Can't say enough about this company!! That is sometimes more important than the actual router.

Call and ask for Charlie Bible he will point you in the right direction.
-Matt