• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What could cause this?

rydods

Member for quite some time.
These are fuel tankers paint is in great condition.
Material is Oracal 651 but I have also seen it on 751 and 951.
Not sure if we installed or if the customer installed this one. (If customer, it's possible they use rapid tac. We don't)
Weather -40 to +90 F
I'm 90 percent sure they use pressure washers to clean them

I know what I think it could be but I'd prefer additional support. This is a huge client and I have to cover every possible scenario. If I missed providing any additional info, just let me know. Sorry about the picture quality.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• tankers.jpg
    tankers.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 424

letterman7

Pressure washer is my first guess, especially if they are using hot water washers in the colder weather. If it was fuel oil leaking (drips), you'd see it just on the top of the letters. Of course, installation is also the question. If they were installed in sub-freezing weather, all bets are off, even if the tanker was lettered in a garage.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
That 100% looks like pressure washer damage.

It's ripped from the surrounding vinyl, upwards. Driving airflow or moisture penetration would not have that effect.

Glennora

This is a shot in the dark. Maybe from our extremely cold winter. Vinyl gets stretchy when you heat it up. So, It would make sense that it would become more brittle the colder it gets. We had some really cold weather. The fuel in the tanker holds the cold as apposed to a vehicle that gets intermittent warming from the interior heater, engine etc. Then you power wash it in that state and it chips. Just a guess looking at the wear pattern. From a Michigander

• Agree
Reactions: 2B

TimToad

Not to beat a dead horse but that looks exactly like pressure washer damage.

We tell every client with vehicle graphics that they must exercise some restraint and care when washing their vehicles. A pressure washer turned up too high to speed up cleaning even 24" from the surface can blast through a 2mil coating.

Who the hell uses 651grade vinyl on a vehicle or anything meant to be "permanent"?

rydods

Who the hell uses 651grade vinyl on a vehicle or anything meant to be "permanent"?[/QUOTE]

I've used 651 for the better part of 20 years and never had any complaints. Only thing I've noticed was slight cracking in the corners of letters after 5 years or so.
We don't do as much cut vinyl jobs anymore so for the ones that require it, we now switched to Avery SC 950. If we're going to use cut vinyl, I'd prefer it lasts. When most work was cut vinyl we used 651 for cost reasons and like I said, never really had an issues. Nothing returned that's for sure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who the hell uses 651grade vinyl on a vehicle or anything meant to be "permanent"?

I've used 651 for the better part of 20 years and never had any complaints. Only thing I've noticed was slight cracking in the corners of letters after 5 years or so.
We don't do as much cut vinyl jobs anymore so for the ones that require it, we now switched to Avery SC 950. If we're going to use cut vinyl, I'd prefer it lasts. When most work was cut vinyl we used 651 for cost reasons and like I said, never really had an issues. Nothing returned that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

I agree with your input about using 651. Different jobs required different approaches. However, how long do you suppose the vinyl in your picture was on the vehicle in question ?? I presume they are sending you pictures like this, as they are most likely disturbed about something........ ??

rydods

I agree with your input about using 651. Different jobs required different approaches. However, how long do you suppose the vinyl in your picture was on the vehicle in question ?? I presume they are sending you pictures like this, as they are most likely disturbed about something........ ??[/QUOTE]

That was one thing I forgot to mention. The vehicle in the photos was lettered 2 years ago. This along with the fact that it's happened to other tankers is what they are concerned about.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, like others have said..... it appears to have all the qualities of abusive cleaning techniques. Whether they have someone new doing it or they got a new machine, something on their end has changed, regardless of how much they say different. It's a difficult position to be in, as these trucks need to be cleaned quite often and manpower plus time is more important than being gentle around some lettering, so you get blamed. I would simply say to them, this exact same vinyl, in any color holds up very easily for 4 or 5 years under normal circumstances. If you are going to continue whatever it is that you're doing, I can up the vinyl quality, but it WILL cost more, but it still won't take much more abuse. Your call, but I'm sure we can figure something out.

signman315

Signmaker
Just beating the rotten corpse of a dead horse but a strong pressure washer can chip the paint off a vehicle much less some vinyl...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just beating the rotten corpse of a dead horse but a strong pressure washer can chip the paint off a vehicle much less some vinyl...
Never thought of it before but now I wonder if anyone has ever pressure washed a dead horse.

rydods

Update. I mentioned to the customer that a pressure washer too close to the vinyl, especially when cold, may have caused this.
Response was, "Im not upset. We just need to get it solved moving forward so that more isn’t reoccurring.

Consider a thicker material. Needs to stand up to a pressure washer when cold.

Have a great weekend!"

I'm definitely going to recommend a better cleaning method especially around the vinyl lettering but now I still feel under pressure "no pund intended" to produce a product that may not exist. Do I laminate cast vinyl?? I dont think price is an issue. This could turn into a disaster if there is a pressure washing "Monster" running lose on this entire fleet.

unclebun

Thicker material will accentuate the problem. Thicker edge for the water to grab. Vinyl lettering has to be washed with the wand held away from the surface, and straight down on the surface (i.e. at right angles to). It's a washing technique-dependent problem, not a material problem. If the high pressure spray is aimed towards the edge of the vinyl, it will blast it off. The chipped appearance happens more when it's cold because the vinyl is brittle and actually cracks. In the summer, it will just peel the whole letter off.

rydods

And now it's happening again!! Switched to Avery 950 and now after 6 months these gas tankers are doing it again. Avery's response is that it is required you apply edge sealer to graphics on a stainless or painted stainless steel tank. So now my customer wants me to switch to 3M. Not sure if this is going to fix the problem or if 3M has a similar requirement with the edge seal??

Attachments

• IMG_0869-1.jpg
    IMG_0869-1.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 286

rjssigns

If the client can't keep his employees from ruining vinyl start painting the lettering. Not cheap or fast but it will last.

Paint mask and a 4" foam roller is what I used years ago. Old time sign painter showed me the technique for fleets.

unclebun

Doesn't matter what brand of vinyl you use, it will happen again. Buy a 10 yard roll of 3M, replace the damaged letters you photographed above, and you will find the guy who washes them has blasted the 3M vinyl off too.