Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Da Heck Is This Font

Discussion in 'Fonts and Typography' started by OldPaint, Oct 22, 2005.

1. OldPaint

OldPaint Major Contributor

i dont have a problem with fonts for the most part..but this one got me diggin my A** !!!! i got it somewhere ive used it before, but just cant put my finger on it...and i nheed it NOW....it an old one......the word SPEEDWAY in this bitmap............or you can see it here http://www.flomatonspeedway.com

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Carl Wood

Carl Wood New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    Is it LAZER?

3. HSG

HSG Guest

Looks like Square 721 Bold slightly extended and sheared.

HSG

4. OldPaint

the word SPEEDWAY .....HSG.......pa people cant read....hehehehehehe

5. Fred Weiss

Fred Weiss Merchant Member

Sep 11, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I checked it against 600+ scripts in my archives and no match.

6. gROUND cHUCK

gROUND cHUCK Member

Jun 10, 2005
  7. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    The font looks a bit like Letraset Laser -but with a few key changes.

My guess is the script started out as hand lettered glyphs, was scanned into digital form and then manually digitized. I've made a good number of logotypes using hand-drawn and vectorized letters -rather than using "OPF."

"OPF" is a term I first noticed in a Leslie Cabarga's Logo Font and Lettering Bible. Simply put, it means "other people's fonts."

8. HSG

HSG Guest

Opps - breathed in too much coal dust today.

HSG

9. OldPaint

HAHAHAHAAH hsg...i know the feelin, shoveled coal for most of my 30 years in PA....dad was a coal miner, mom was a coalminers daughter, whole family was into coal mines and unions...from 1900's till 1950.... i was lucky ...i went to the STEEL MILL ...oh joy....still miss the smell of sulfur in the morin when dad would load up that old 27" monster coal furnace in the cellar and it was only "gravity feed heat".....in a house with no insulation........
    anyway ..the font apperently is "hand drawn" scanned and put into a bitmap. but i got done....i got a vector of the logo with all the cut-thrus so i can cut the vinyl for him to stick on the plexi......did it all in my trusty corel.....

10. HSG

HSG Guest

I'm originally from the Williamsport area. No coal there. My Ex demanded I move with him to his hometown of Shamokin, 24 years ago. We have the largest culm bank in the world according to the Guinness book of world records. They are making great progress in hauling it away to be burnt in the Cogens. Unfortunately, it's right behind our place of buisness. I'm allergic to the dust. I have the pleasure of having an Alaska Stoker Stove in the garage part of the shop. Although this year, I might be glad it's there. Coal is much cheaper than anything else right now.

HSG

11. OldPaint

we used to pay $7 a ton for coal!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wont tell ya what year that was.................hehehehehehehe

12. HSG

HSG Guest

It's $110 now.

13. OldPaint

man we used to go thru 10-15 ton a winter......but we had a 4 story house that was 30' x 50' for 3 storys...and the upstairs was 30x 35'. 3rd floor was a bar, kitchen and living room.