• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What did i do wrong? (customer meeting)

Jillbeans

I wouldn't have broken it down into calling it a "layout fee" I would simply have said "Our policy is a 50% deposit before providing sketches."
When he rushed for Friday I would have said "We can do this provided you approve the sketch as quickly as possible so we can get you into our production schedule" and I would have also added a rush fee of $50.
If you were professionally clad, able to take a deposit then and there, and he balked, he may have been merely tire-kicking. I wouldn't waste 30 seconds worrying about him and I sure as hell would not design without a deposit.
Love....Jill

J

john1

Well, Received a call from the customer and he got my voicemail as i wasn't available to pick up at the time he called.

He said "I have found another way to get what i want done and it will save me a ton of money but if i can use you in the future i will let you know". Not real happy about it and typical from the outcome of yesterdays meeting. I bet he went up the street to the hack who puts together the monster wrap fills and print suite collection and calls it artwork.

Oh well, can't win them all but it does suck when your a super small shop and just $300 could make or break you at times.

I really want to find a job at a sign shop and just stop dealing with everything.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well, ya tried. Ya win some.... ya lose some. At least you didn't give him anything valuable.

Hopefully, you learned some valuable lessons and insight from the many posters here as how to turn it around the next time. Consider it a learning curve and not a lose, cause technically, you didn't lose a thing. :thumb:

Bannerday

Well, ya tried. Ya win some.... ya lose some. At least you didn't give him anything valuable.

Hopefully, you learned some valuable lessons and insight from the many posters here as how to turn it around the next time. Consider it a learning curve and not a lose, cause technically, you didn't lose a thing. :thumb:

:goodpost:

J

john1

All in all that's true Gino but it sucks to hear guys on here brushing off jobs like it's nothing because it's only a couple hundred. I am not going broke or anything but a hundred here, hundred there all helps at the end of the month to pay any bills or have any spending money.

I wish one day to get to the point where i can brush off a few hundred dollar job no problem but until then i have to make sales at any cost and wonder why the heck people enjoy wasting peoples time. I am out of my time at this point and the entire forum always says how your times worth something, right?

Sometimes i feel that some don't really understand how hard things are working from home and not being able to get a shop somewhere to fix said problem of working at home. I know some where from home and have made a shop out of their garages or made a addition which is awesome but to those who can't do those things from home it's really hard.

I feel as if, things are going good now i have my pricing program up and running smooth, invoicing is easy and organized with quickbooks, then i get a call from people and t's time to put on a happy face when you just want to hang up on them, and they want you to meet with them, so then you gotta dress nicer than usual to kiss their keesters and then they walk out on you and your not paid for anything. It really makes me want to put my versacamm in the classified and go another way in life.

For everyone that's reading this thinking "man this guy is crazy", you guys that have a shop are awesome. You have done what i never have and i won't ever get to experience that level of success. Wether it be with this attitude or not, i won't so that's all i have to say.

GoodPeopleFlags

Don't feel like you lost the job because you didn't want to show him layouts first without money. If you had done the layout for free, he probably would've taken it to the other guy and you still wouldn't have gotten the job - and you'd be out your design time that the other guy might've copied. You did good.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
All in all that's true Gino but it sucks to hear guys on here brushing off jobs like it's nothing because it's only a couple hundred. I am not going broke or anything but a hundred here, hundred there all helps at the end of the month to pay any bills or have any spending money.

I wish one day to get to the point where i can brush off a few hundred dollar job no problem but until then i have to make sales at any cost and wonder why the heck people enjoy wasting peoples time. I am out of my time at this point and the entire forum always says how your times worth something, right?

Well, in a rather round about way, you could be right, but think about this for a moment.

At the end of the month and you have to pay your bills and you find yourself a little short and wished you had this or that $300 job back. That won't do it if you're running by the seat of your pants and by that I mean.... you probably are losing far more than you should be, you're probably not pricing things correctly and your numbers are gonna remain low, if you don't change your business philosophy.

Let's put things into perspective. A shop doing 10 million a year, probably has 100 times the costs you have.

• His electric bill is probably $120,000 a month.
  • His insurances are probalby $300,000 a month.
  • His payroll is probably $50,000 a month.
His everything is exactly what yours is in perspective, but separated by more commas til you get to the decimal point.

So, my losing a $300 job is like you losing a business card. It doesn't hurt me at all, but I can relate.

What you need to do is stop comparing yourself to those making a decent buck and feeling sorry for yourself.....and start studying the structure, pricing, techniques, theories, plans and so forth and try to emulate those people you admire instead of just wanting to get there and doing nothing about it.

It doesn't come with age, it doesn't come with who you know, it doesn't come from anything other than a burning feeling in your stomach to do well and keep on keepin' on. Learn... and learn well the lessons on this forum, the ones in the magazines and the stories you hear when you and your colleagues gather.... digest this stuff and soak up about 20% of it.... because the rest of it is probably garbage and lies.

Key here.... don't wish. Wishing is for fairies. You gotta go make it happen, cause no one else will. You alone are in charge of your future. It's a tough world, but unless you make the commitment and I mean the real thing, no one will ever take you seriously. No one.

Marlene

Sometimes i feel that some don't really understand how hard things are working from home and not being able to get a shop somewhere to fix said problem of working at home. I know some where from home and have made a shop out of their garages or made a addition which is awesome but to those who can't do those things from home it's really hard.

is must be hard to meet with customers and not have a place to meet. can you meet at their shop or office? most would love that as they don't have to leave their business.

skyhigh

You're not far off but...
I would have:
1. Met them at their workplace rather than your home or a coffee shop
2. not made mention of my need to order materials for a job of that size
3. Had in place, a method to collect or secure a signature for a down payment on the spot

It's tough in the early stages but ya gotta give off the feeling that you are not a small time company as much as possible.
Try to review the meeting from the other person's point of view as much as possible, then make adjustments to your next meeting.

+1
Either go to his place of business, or make a little office area in your home. Either is better than a coffee shop.

2. I'm with border....don't mention having to oder materials. at $300, its not a large job.....and you don't keep that much on stock?

3. Deposit on the project amount, Not for design time (although that may be exactly what its for)

Don't sweat it John. He may call yet, or have decided to wait till his next trip, realizing its cutting it too close now.

Edit.
He said "I have found another way to get what i want done and it will save me a ton of money but if i can use you in the future i will let you know"
Sorry man.....but you still did good. Like others have said, if you did the free designs, then he would have taken them to the other shop too. Deadbeat lowball searching customers will drain you dry and waste the time you could be spending on good clients. You didn't make any money, but you made out better NOT having him as a client.
:thumb:

JR's

Group hug, group hug, group hug,

don't worry John it gets easier. I even lost clients after I design something. Sometimes they just throw you a knuckleball.
I believe it has a lot to do with your skill levels dealing with clients/people. Eventually you get to the point where it doesn't matter what you're wearing where you're at. It all comes down to your attitude experience, portfolio and the client.

And $300 to me is a good chunk.

JR

JR's

Key here.... don't wish. Wishing is for fairies. You gotta go make it happen, cause no one else will. You alone are in charge of your future. It's a tough world, but unless you make the commitment and I mean the real thing, no one will ever take you seriously. No one.

:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:
Very inspirational. I am copying this and sending it to myself in a e-mail. So I can have it in front of me for inspiration.
Thanks Gino
JR

Border

When I started out and for the first few years even, I swear I spent more time driving around to meet customers at their places and knocking on doors, passing out brochures & cards, calls, follow-up calls & emails. I spent way more time, every day, doing these things than I did making actual items for sale. But that's what ya gotta do. And DON'T have a "hungry" look on your face when you're out there either, 'cuz they can sense it and it will close the door on ya faster than just about anything else.

Stick to it and at some point you will start to get busier and it will get easier to close new sales. You will start to learn what you are best at and concentrate on marketing that product because that's where you make your best money per hour. And once you are good and busy, it seems like people can't wait to throw a down payment to you in order to get in line and have you do their work.

Perseverance is the ONLY thing that will get you to the other side, unless you win the lottery or something.

Last edited:
J

john1

Can this day get any worse?

Just had my guy who was doing sand blasted glass plates with my customers logo on them say he only has half done (2) and there isn't no more glass plates for the other two in stock where he gets the glass from. I selected 4 of my biggest accounts and was gonna put Christmas cookies on these plates for the holidays.

Great.

Locals Find!

Can this day get any worse?

Just had my guy who was doing sand blasted glass plates with my customers logo on them say he only has half done (2) and there isn't no more glass plates for the other two in stock where he gets the glass from. I selected 4 of my biggest accounts and was gonna put Christmas cookies on these plates for the holidays.

Great.

Give them to your two biggest accounts only then. Whats the big deal ?? Now your two biggest accounts just got even better special treatment. Its all on how you look at things.

skyhigh

head to walmart.... quit sweating the small stuff.

I think its fate. One of the other 2 inevitably would have found a hair in one of their cookies.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Give them to your two biggest accounts only then. Whats the big deal ?? Now your two biggest accounts just got even better special treatment. Its all on how you look at things.

Read it again..... he said HIS customer's logos on them, not his.

Locals Find!

Read it again..... he said HIS customer's logos on them, not his.

That doesn't change the fact he has two plates and 4 big customers. So two of those 4 just got upgraded status. Whether it is his logo or their logo. I don't see how that changes anything.

head to walmart.... quit sweating the small stuff.

I think its fate. One of the other 2 inevitably would have found a hair in one of their cookies.

+1 just get something GENERIC, nothing that is specific to Christmas or the sort... and put cookies on it. Chances are they will still love it because you thought of them!