• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help what dimensional lettering material to use?

Chasez

Hi all,

We're no stranger to dimensional lettering but we've got a job right now that has us stumped on which materials to use and how to install. We have 6 letters at 47" high (30" AFF), looking for some thickness (maybe 3/8" - 1/2"), spaced off the wall accordingly, and black colour. My first thought was to use 1/2" black acrylic with polished returns but the weight on letters that big we don't think would hold in drywall (wall has already been finished on both sides so boarding behind is not an option). I thought about milling out the back of the 1/2" black acrylic to lighten the letters but I still don't know if pinned to the wall would hold.

Anyone have any other ideas based on the materials above or use of other materials with the same criteria? This is going in a display area so edge quality is important so gatorboards etc. won't be acceptable.

Chaz

Drip Dry

Fabricated aluminum, They can be made any thickness. They are lightweight because they are hollow.
It's like a reverse channel letter but without the neon.
I have them made here locally, but I would think Gemini would be my first try

rossmosh

You're really limiting yourself by requiring a gloss edge.

Considering it's going inside, I'll go with Trupan/Ultraboard. If you prep it right, you can paint it to look as good or better than acrylic. A 4x8x12mm sheet is about 25-30 lbs I believe. Acrylic is about 90lbs I believe. Trupan is also 10% of the cost.

visual800

I would use 1/2" pvc. Once routed you will have the thickness you want and it wont be heavy nor very expensive. you will not have that gloss edge though. Acrylic is going to be expensive but that might be the way to go. fabricated aluminum will be best bet BUT you are going to pay out the ass for that....let me guess some dumba$$ architect or interior designer came up with the gloss edging?

Marlene

That's a hard one. do they really have to stand off .5"? Can you talk them into flush mount? If not, maybe go with clear flame polished with black faces so that you can flush stud mount them.

10sacer

Hi all,

We're no stranger to dimensional lettering but we've got a job right now that has us stumped on which materials to use and how to install. We have 6 letters at 47" high (30" AFF), looking for some thickness (maybe 3/8" - 1/2"), spaced off the wall accordingly, and black colour. My first thought was to use 1/2" black acrylic with polished returns but the weight on letters that big we don't think would hold in drywall (wall has already been finished on both sides so boarding behind is not an option). I thought about milling out the back of the 1/2" black acrylic to lighten the letters but I still don't know if pinned to the wall would hold.

Anyone have any other ideas based on the materials above or use of other materials with the same criteria? This is going in a display area so edge quality is important so gatorboards etc. won't be acceptable.

Chaz

Have done the same size letters with HDU that gave a gloss edge and hung with only 6 or 8 pins depending on letter