Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help what dimensional lettering material to use?

Discussion in 'Dimensional Signs' started by Chasez, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Chasez

Chasez Member

Jan 6, 2014
    canada
    Hi all,

We're no stranger to dimensional lettering but we've got a job right now that has us stumped on which materials to use and how to install. We have 6 letters at 47" high (30" AFF), looking for some thickness (maybe 3/8" - 1/2"), spaced off the wall accordingly, and black colour. My first thought was to use 1/2" black acrylic with polished returns but the weight on letters that big we don't think would hold in drywall (wall has already been finished on both sides so boarding behind is not an option). I thought about milling out the back of the 1/2" black acrylic to lighten the letters but I still don't know if pinned to the wall would hold.

Anyone have any other ideas based on the materials above or use of other materials with the same criteria? This is going in a display area so edge quality is important so gatorboards etc. won't be acceptable.

Chaz

Tags:
  2. Drip Dry

Drip Dry Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2004
    Long island NY
    Fabricated aluminum, They can be made any thickness. They are lightweight because they are hollow.
    It's like a reverse channel letter but without the neon.
    I have them made here locally, but I would think Gemini would be my first try

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    You're really limiting yourself by requiring a gloss edge.

Considering it's going inside, I'll go with Trupan/Ultraboard. If you prep it right, you can paint it to look as good or better than acrylic. A 4x8x12mm sheet is about 25-30 lbs I believe. Acrylic is about 90lbs I believe. Trupan is also 10% of the cost.

4. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    I would use 1/2" pvc. Once routed you will have the thickness you want and it wont be heavy nor very expensive. you will not have that gloss edge though. Acrylic is going to be expensive but that might be the way to go. fabricated aluminum will be best bet BUT you are going to pay out the *** for that....let me guess some dumba$$ architect or interior designer came up with the gloss edging?

5. Marlene

Marlene Major Contributor

Jun 8, 2004
    Vermont
    That's a hard one. do they really have to stand off .5"? Can you talk them into flush mount? If not, maybe go with clear flame polished with black faces so that you can flush stud mount them.

6. GVP

GVP Active Member

Nov 11, 2005
    Swift Current, SK
    Sounds like a Gemini job to me. Molded plastic letters - lightweight and glossy, stud mountable.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 10sacer

10sacer Active Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Concord, NC
    Have done the same size letters with HDU that gave a gloss edge and hung with only 6 or 8 pins depending on letter