• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do I need summa

Cstamper

Hello, I'm new here. I was given a summa cut d620 today for free. I have no idea how to use it, but I'm very interesting in learning. I was only given the actual cutter, could you guys please tell me what all I must buy to get it running. Thanks.

Bly

Nothing really. Plug it into your PC, download Winplot and Summa Cutter Tools and they will install a plugin so you can cut from Illustrator or Corel.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What is it you want to do with something you have no idea about ?? What do you want to accomplish ?? Are you going to use it to stuff an owl ??

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
What is it you want to do with something you have no idea about ??

Yeah...that's what I used to say whenever someone like this came along...until.

The year was 2001, I'd just been let go from a vocational teaching job (Manufacturing/CAD Design) I dearly loved, but honestly could not handle...especially the last year when I was forced to teach a subject that was beyond the fringes of my experience...and comfort zone.

A second teaching job proceeded to take me a little further beyond those first fringes, yet I still managed to reach that uncomfortable place again where my gut finally said to hang it up and move on.

While in the process of finding my bearings, I became aware of a monument company I drove past each week and became curious of what actually went on inside. Since we homeschooled our kids, I arranged for the nickel tour and got more than I had bargained for. Simply stated, I was blown away.

I never knew some of the things going on behind those walls even existed. Yet greater still was the fact that I had unknowingly been developing some of the necessary skills from the teaching jobs that would eventually allow me to buy a cutter and software and begin living the dream.

So here I am ten years later, operating our own small-scale monument business. Self-funded (no banks), and armed to the teeth with four Gerber plotters for cutting monument stencil, a NuArc plate burner and a shop full of equipment I had never even known existed before I got that epiphany.

Never...ever...underestimate or fear the power of the unknown.

JB

Cstamper

Nothing really. Plug it into your PC, download Winplot and Summa Cutter Tools and they will install a plugin so you can cut from Illustrator or Corel.

Thank you so much. I am buying a laptop that will be dedicated to this d620. What form of Windows would be best for running winplot and summa cut tools?

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Thank you so much. I am buying a laptop that will be dedicated to this d620. What form of Windows would be best for running winplot and summa cut tools?

"What form of windows?" Seriously? 'Version', the proper term is 'version'. Bog help us all.

player

Are you a graphic designer? Do you have any skills or experience or even any idea what or why to do with your Summa?

reQ

Holy moly... thought its no possible for new topics to be more absurd than what we see every week, but this one brought it to new level.

player

I have no experience in construction, I have never used any tools or built anything, but I was given a free cement mixer. What kind of bricks should I use?

James Burke

I'm going to fiercely defend the OP here and re-state the fact that this is the newbie thread. It is neither the Business Management nor the Entertainment thread, yet it is surely being treated as though it were. The OP is a newbie...as in "Hey folks, I'm just getting started here and need a little help".

Give this guy (or gal) a fighting chance here, and go back and read my post above (#4).

Newbies coming in from diverse backgrounds can bring a lot to the table if you'd just give them a chance.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm going to fiercely defend the OP here and re-state the fact that this is the newbie thread. It is neither the Business Management nor the Entertainment thread, yet it is surely being treated as though it were. The OP is a newbie...as in "Hey folks, I'm just getting started here and need a little help".

Give this guy (or gal) a fighting chance here, and go back and read my post above (#4).

Newbies coming in from diverse backgrounds can bring a lot to the table if you'd just give them a chance.

JB

While you kinda came in a back door, you had a yearning and much background in this industry already. You were not aimlessly just looking around and a plotter fell into your lap for free. You went in with both eyes open and wanted to learn. Liked it and pursued it. The same could happen to the OP here, but stuffing birds and other dead animals doe not sound like it will help him/her that much. He shows no talents or interest other than how to get the thing to work. My questions were why and for whom ?? If he can't answer that, why give him/her false hope ?? You need a plan and a goal.

James Burke

Give epiphany a fighting chance. Sometimes it blindsides us and it's up to us to figure out the rest...no matter the odds of success or failure. Hell, Thomas Edison blindly followed false hope...I've followed false hope...we've all followed false hope at some point in our lives. If not, then we're not trying hard enough.

Like pieces of a puzzle, it takes time to see the picture and then adjust the plan if needed. That's what makes life so interesting and worthwhile.

JB

player

JB

OK you are right.

He needs a cheap computer, a graphics program like Corel, the win plot and summa driver and it should run. Can he also create graphics free from Sketchup if Corel is not free?

Win 7 is my favorite. XP will work but seems old now, Win 8 is not my favorite. 10 is too new, but may work. Again I would try to get Win7 Professional with the 64 bit. Then it will run 32 and 64 bit programs.

Good luck OP.

CMYKprnt

I had a similar experience last week with a Summa S120 TX. I called up customer service, paid them for 2 hours worth of training on the machine and software because I didn't have a clue what to do with it. For $160 ($80/hr) they game me all the instruction I needed to get going. Fair price for what I received in return.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Who's this owl you speak of?

You, if you're not careful. He a taxedermist with no idea what the sign industry is about. He wants to dabble. He has no aim, no goals, no customers, no training, no intention of doing g anything, other than making a free to work.

All I asked was for some input from the OP, so we can address his needs/requests. Not an open announcement telling us he has a machine....... now what do I do ??

I could be wrong... and I'm sure I'll be corrected, but this is a good example of not fitting in at all. So, other than finding a brush, neon tubing or a plotter, why is he here ?? He expresses nothing. We are about communications and visualizations. So.........??:banghead:

CMYKprnt

You, if you're not careful. He a taxedermist with no idea what the sign industry is about. He wants to dabble. He has no aim, no goals, no customers, no training, no intention of doing g anything, other than making a free to work.

All I asked was for some input from the OP, so we can address his needs/requests. Not an open announcement telling us he has a machine....... now what do I do ??

I could be wrong... and I'm sure I'll be corrected, but this is a good example of not fitting in at all. So, other than finding a brush, neon tubing or a plotter, why is he here ?? He expresses nothing. We are about communications and visualizations. So.........??:banghead:

Eddie Van Halen dabbled with a guitar once.