• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you charge for designing a wrap

mrbid

what do you charge for designing a wrap.
from more easyer clients to the pains.

Most client don't seam to have any idea what they want or help with need photos.

They just want they vehicle wrapped.

Letterbox Mike

All depends on alot of factors, but we bill it hourly. In an initial meeting with the client we get a pretty good idea of what they're after and are able to ballpark a pretty solid flat fee based on that. A typical wrap of average complexity usually runs somewhere between $650 and $850 for design, on average. We bill hourly for excessive design revisions and for stock photography (the cost of the image plus the time spent looking for it).

S

scarface

I had a customer of mine deal with a company locally who does wraps and he was charged $600 for the design. He ended up not getting a wrap because he was outraged they charged him that much, So i guess they go for about what insignia said too

dwt

If you're not billing by the hour the client is not truly committed to the project and will expect all the changes they can dream up with no sense of completion.

I bill in three phases. Design, material quality and installation. They are welcome to be a tightwad if they chose but in the end they will get exactly what they pay for.

Letterbox Mike

I had a customer of mine deal with a company locally who does wraps and he was charged $600 for the design. He ended up not getting a wrap because he was outraged they charged him that much, So i guess they go for about what insignia said too

That's typical with customers in the sign industry as a whole. Alot of people have no idea designing any of this stuff, be it a sign or a wrap, takes any time, and so many shops out there give design away for free that it just perpetuates that notion. Selling design for a wrap or a sign is like selling anything else. You have to educate your customer on it's purpose and it's value. You have to get them to start thinking in terms of advertising and marketing, which amazingly most people do not. Then and only then will you get them to realize that quality design has significant value and does not come cheap or free.

I tell people who are surprised a wrap design costs "so much" or anything to consider other forms of advertising. I ask them if they think TV or print ads for companies like Microsoft, Apple, GM, etc. cost anything to create? I try to make them think about the true cost and value of other forms of advertising. Usually you can see the lightbulb turn on when you relate it to other mediums they may be more familiar with... The bottom line is a wrap can and should be a highly effective marketing tool. But a wrap is only as effective as the design. In the end, quality of materials, installation or what printer a wrap was printed on don't mean squat, it's the design that makes or breaks a wrap. And as with anything in life, with design, you get what you pay for.