• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you do with used signs?

401Graphics

What do you do with the signs you've taken down? If it's metal I send it to the scrap yard.
But what about something like polycarbonate, and aluminum composite? I've got a pile that's getting a bit too large behind my shop, Not to mention on windy days the sheets get blown around.
Do you repurpose it? Cut it up and throw it in the trash? I was wondering what other shops are doing with this stuff.

:signs101::U Rock:

FS-Keith

I have a boneyard that I keep the quality cabinets that i take down for resale, the alum/ steel. alum composite all goes to the scrap yard. ballasts, transformers get scrapped. plastic faces go into a dumpster for recyling

Pat Whatley

Plywood and aluminum composite signs got leaned against the side of my building. I think everybody in the neighborhood that needed wood just came by at night and helped themselves.

Aluminum signs get recycled.

Everything else contributes to helping fill up that big whole at the county dump.

ams

There is a plastics company that is 3 hours away, they will come to my shop, pick up my used plastics and haul them off.........and.......... pay me for it!

T

TonyC

We have a retired gentleman who comes to our shop every Friday and collects all the scrap. We keep a barrel next to our cutters and pile everything else outside. He gets all the scrape for recycle but he also has to take all the garbage from service and installs. It saves me having to pay for extra dumpster space and it keeps our shop and lot clean and junk free.

TheSnowman

I'm in the same boat, but I'm about to just get a dumpster. I'm tired of tripping over it all. It's been 10 years in this location, and we haven't cleaned it out, so we can empty house, and then do it again in another 10 years.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We let the 501st Legion take whatever they can use, repurpose what we can, recycle what we can't, and toss the rest.

The 501st Legion makes Stormtrooper costumes and stuff for kids. They just recently used a bunch of styrene we gave them to make an outfit for a terminally ill kid here at Kosair Children's Hospital.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I typically offer for the original owner to keep it, to keep me from hauling it off. ACM is stored and resold or given away for someone else to build birdhouses, line the floor of their jon boat or whatever they way with it. Plywood, which I don't see much of anymore goes to the burnpile. Plastic faces usually end up getting tossed. There used to be a guy that came around and reclaimed him, but I think that ship has sailed.