• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you need in designs??

MatthewTimothy

I thought about subscribing and seeing if i could possibly do some work here for the community in relation to designs. BUT, before i can do this, i would like to know what exactly you guys look for other than maybe a layout design or logo design.

signswi

The question is confusing, but we always need more honest critiques, case studies, techniques, best practices, finished portfolio examples...

Craig Sjoquist

Yes explain a bit more please and a portfolio is needed to see, surely many sign shops would like some of the design work completed for several types.

Yes there are several that do design / layout and are outstanding, surely more options are good.

Merchant member subscriber is next indeed, but myself proving that being worth the effort is needed, so show us what ya got to offer.

Circleville Signs

I think he's saying that he's considering a Merchant Membership in order to sell his design services. He's trying to gauge if this is a sound financial decision.

Locals Find!

I need designers for everything honestly. My reviews on here of a lot of my design work have been far from stellar and frankly I don't have the time to deal with a lot of it & produce quality.

What kind of rates would you be looking for? Would have a flat rate pricing i.e. business cards will be X, postcards Y etc... or hourly?

If hourly will you be able to gauge an approximate ballpark figure before beginning a job? I would want a rough estimate of if its going to take you 3 hours or 1 hour before I awarded a job to make sure I can stay in budget.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Are ya any good ??​

It's kinda a tough question asking the very people you want to solicit work from... if they are willing to pay you to do work for them if you become a 'Merchant Member'.

I would rather already know myself in my head and heart if I was indeed capable of servicing people/peers in the industry without asking first.​

To me.... it sounds like.... if I join, will you buy from me ??

In this world today, you should know your capabilities and your worth.

This sounds kinda weak, unless I'm reading it wrong. :Oops:​

signswi

I think he's saying that he's considering a Merchant Membership in order to sell his design services. He's trying to gauge if this is a sound financial decision.

Ah. Not really something I can answer. My company doesn't outsource design, but some here seem to. No one is going to hire blind though. It's a catch 22--Fred doesn't want you to post your portfolio without being a merchant, buying merchant is only worth it if there's an audience. Depends on the OPs marketing budget.

RebeckaR

Folks post "look what I did" photos all the time. Throw a few samples out here. Put something up for a critique. If nobody has anything bad to say, then you're golden.

It doesn't take very many samples to tell if you know your stuff or not.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ah. Not really something I can answer. My company doesn't outsource design, but some here seem to. No one is going to hire blind though. It's a catch 22--Fred doesn't want you to post your portfolio without being a merchant, buying merchant is only worth it if there's an audience. Depends on the OPs marketing budget.

No objection to portfolio posting. We encourage it. Soliciting business is where we draw the line.

To answer the OP ... I have no doubt that you would do enough to make a profit on the cost of an MM subscription. I doubt however that you will find it is much more than a small side income.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Fred, don't you have a short one for like 3 months that he could try as a trial period ??

I believe that's how we started... with a three month subscription. I just don't know if they're available anymore.

MatthewTimothy

My apologies guys, i know i can design and i do plan on posting my portfolio soon, but my real questions was if you guys outsource or regularly look for design work done and web design done. As mentioned above im looking to see if there is enough to possible recoup the merchant membership.

HulkSmash

it's like 300 bucks.... If you can't make it up services, it's because they're not up to par with what companies are looking for. If you're good.. you'll make it back in a job a two.

MatthewTimothy

especially since you say you do websites, and what not.. you shouldn't have a problem at all getting work. There's people always looking for web services on this forum. I say go for it.

do you have a few sites you've done that you can post?

i will be releasing a new revision of my site, and about 4 ecommerce sites hopefully by jan, if i dont die from lack of sleep

xcracer48

I need help designing and setting up projects to print. I need someone I can call and text during breaks at work. So when I get to the house I am ready to send it to my machine and apply the graphics to my substrate. Its hard for me to do everything being I work at least 40-60 hours a week especially at the first of the year.