• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you pay for electricity?

CheapVehicleWrap

We average about $700/mo here at the shop.

Has anybody added a solar system to their shop to help cut down on utility bills? I've been kicking the idea around but it's really hard to get an idea just how much you'll actually save, so it's hard to calculate the ROI, if any...

I have a client who installs them. Typically they pay for themselves in 3-4 years.

Pat Whatley

I worked May and June without an air conditioner, shop stayed around 90 degrees....the shop bill was $185 each month. Installed two monster air conditioners, kept the temperature at 72 degrees, the bill jumped all the way up to $190 a month.

Home we're on budget billing...we pay around $140 year round.

David Wright

I have a commercial model Mr. Fusion generator at the shop with no monthly costs. Just some garbage and a few banana peels everyday.

dj_elite

I run my business from my house. But in the summer I pay around $60/month winter is about $80/month. Switched all my bulbs to flourescent energy savers about two years ago. First bill i got after installing them was almost $40 cheaper!!! I also unplug anything that isnt being used on a daily basis and only turn on lights for the room im in

mollygrubber

Feel your pain

I feel your pain, I mean, I really feel your pain. My daytime job is reading gas and electric meters for our local utilities.

The pain comes from people trapping me to complain about their bill or them thinking I control whether it gets shut off or not. The stories of cheating that people do you would not believe.

Three things that you should do:
1. They can be read wrong. Compare your usage to previous bills, if they are too much different say a 1000 kw, ask them to come back out to read it again.
2. If you have high usage ask about a Demand Meter that gives a lower rate after a certain amount is attained.
3. Make sure the person who reads your meter can actually get to it.
If they can't read it because of a fence, locked door, Bad Ass Dog, bushes or any other reason, the utility will estimate it. Because of the high usage this summer it will probably be high.

When they shut down coal and deny nuclear and we're buying natural gas from Mexico, what do you think will happen to the cost?

binki

We are getting 'smart (ass) meters' installed by the end of 2011 and measured by the end of 2012 and raped in 2013 and beyond. 2013 rates based on 2012 usage.

I retired from the local electric utility and I can tell you the deal is not with the meter but what it measures. The mechanical watt hour meter is the most accurate mass produced measuring device ever made. It is very accurate and only slows down, almost never speeds up. It can only tell what is used, not when or by what.

The electronic 'smart (ass) meter' measures electricity by the moment and appliance and the results are wired back to the electric company on a regular basis (wires are wires and electric wires can carry data on them) and armed with that information the local electric company or government can punish you for using electricity at the wrong time or in the wrong way.

Next up, your appliances narking on you, aka, use a vacuum at 1pm, go to jail (or at least pay a big fine for it)

Typestries

before you all think you have it cheap-those of us with grand format machines are routinely over 1300 a month. Thats low, actually. 1900 is typical. And, we turn off servers and computers at night and weekends. That alone saves about a 100 a month-we have tracked it a few times. Big machines = big $ (going out, mostly...FML!)

smart meters-they are coming, some in town already have them, I can only imagine what that will do to us. Especially with the second and third phases. Uggh.

V-ENGRAVE

Barry - The rate we were paying right after meters were installed has gone up.Currently now they range form 5.3 to 9.9 cents per KW that is why our bills are up.

I have an electrical contractor customer of my telling me for over a year to install solar power. It is not cheap but at current rates it will pay for it self in 7 years (according to stats) when connected to a grid. Ontario hydro pays you up to $0.80 per KW you generate in excess of your needs ( basically you sell to them at much higher rate). I am seriously considering this option.

SqueeGee

We're between $30 and $125 for 8,000sf of space per month since we've installed our solar panels. Before that, we were $500+ per month.

SAS

We're between $30 and $125 for 8,000sf of space per month since we've installed our solar panels. Before that, we were $500+ per month.

What type of solar panels do you have and how many? What kind of load do you pull? I have been thinking about it, I just added 2000 sq ft to the shop with a flat rubber roof.

binki

Barry - The rate we were paying right after meters were installed has gone up.Currently now they range form 5.3 to 9.9 cents per KW that is why our bills are up..

Triple that and you would still be below ours in the People's Republic of (Southern) California.