Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you suppose is causing this issue?

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by gabagoo, Oct 4, 2019.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have been seeing this lately from my ancient printer... I have also seen that black prints seem to have some form of overspray onto other colours...very faint mind you...I only seem to see it when wearing reading glasses. The overspray is sometimes there and sometimes not...

My Machine is a Mimaki jv3

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    If that's the clearest shot you can get of it, I'd venture a guess towards your encoder strip, with a slight possibility you need a good overhaul.

3. Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay?

Pixels Are Bad Mmmkay? Very Active Member

Those faint lines are indicative that you may have a tiny bit of dust or debris hanging around the print head that is building up with ink and redepositing it onto the media as the print head moves back and forth. A thorough inspection and cleaning under the entire print head carriage with a flashlight would be the first course of action that I would take to rule this out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Thanks. I did do a thorough cleaning this morning, but I think it is more than just a cleaning it needs

5. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    could be a blurry photo, but looks like your magenta is out of alignment as well.

6. BIG EASY DOES IT

BIG EASY DOES IT Very Active Member

Mar 14, 2011
    CA
    Is this on the Gerber?

7. E Coloney

E Coloney Member

Dec 14, 2014
    USA
    If it were a Roland (know nothing about Mimaki) I'd say clean the encoder strip from end to end.

8. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    This morning I was running a couple of swatches to match a colour...Look at what the orange is doing when the head first passes over that area... Yet when I printed the job it was perfect...only on the sample swatches it did this... Kind of strange. I have given the heads a good soak and a manual cleaning with a foam brush.... Cleaned the capping station...

Attached Files:

9. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    Is the head as ancient as your printer? Could be the head going out and you might be getting droplets building up on the head and dragging. Can you see ink starting to drip out of the head?

10. gabagoo

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    Yes the odd time I will see droplets once in a while..they generally stay out of the print area and seem to fall when the head swings back in the opposite direction...When I see this happening I go under and clean the heads with a foam brush and it stops....

11. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    If ink is dripping out of your head I would say its time for a new head. I never touch the head on our Mutoh just clean around it.

12. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    aye that just looks like contamination of sorts.
    $5 says you've "cleaned" the capping station & replaced the wiper BUT inside of the wiper station you've got some gummy bears wiping their butts on your wiper blade.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  13. shahidmqamar

shahidmqamar New Member

Oct 15, 2019
    pakistan
    This happens mostly due to VSD settings.Smaller dot size tend to spary fine ink and you can see this spray in white areas.Like you print some word and you will see ink spray in printed words.Remedy is use larger dot size.Hope this will fix problem

14. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    The only time I have ever seen ink droplets is when printing banner with a lot of scrim fuzz on the edges,
    they "tickle the Nozzles" and cause them to drip (I know that frase sounds bad) If this is the case, just take a lighter
    and burn away the fuzz.

The others look like your material is "tunneling" as it's going through your printer, causing a head rub and
    ink-cross-contamination... but that's speculation, have you sat there and watched it cause an issue?
    If not, you might want to set up a camera on your printer to see what it's doing.

15. Jim Hancock

Jim Hancock Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Delray Beach, Florida
    You might consider replacing the damper for the black. Over time, the solvent ink can impact the O ring that seals the damper to the print head manifold and you lose the sealed integrity of the ink line system. This can cause slow leakage from the print head causing random ink drops, mostly where the carriage changes direction. As the black and magenta inks are shared on the same head, this seepage can also cause black to be introduced into the magenta as it prints. You may need a print head, but the damper is a quick inexpensive replacement and the prints seem to indicate ink leakage.