• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you use to clean a matte wrap?

FatCat

Installed our first total color change wrap using the Avery Matte Black yesterday. Thing is, there are fingerprint/oil marks in random spots from the install. I tried using a little alcohol and while it removed some of the oil, you can still see a little of the "ghosting" where this was. I don't dare risk rubbing to hard as I'm worried about making a shiny spot on the vinyl. Just want to get this totally clean and spot free.

Can anyone recommend a good cleaner for a matte wrap, I also want to pass this info along to the customer as well...

thanks!

zymogenesyst

I have my car wrapped with matte charcoal metallic, I get greasy spots and water spots often. I always give it a good hand wash with windex and that does the trick

S'N'S

Just use dish washing liquid in hot water, takes grease off dishes so it takes greasy fingerprints off and wont hurt the vinyl.

worthy1

The only thing we found that cleans it properly is the Avery Surface Cleaner (IPA). We used a generic brand IPA and it didn't do the job. Bit annoying as it costs us a fortune to have the Avery one sent to us (dangerous goods) as its not available locally.

The Croftgate wrapcare and the 360 detailer didn't remove anything, good for maintenance.

You should try cleaning a Matte White wrap. Nothing gets grease/grime of those. It was our business car so we had a laugh taking to it with anything we could get our hands on, shower cleaner, brake cleaner etc. Would never recommend a matte white wrap to anyone.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Oracal has a stupidly expensive kit specifically for care of matte finish wraps out now.... have not tried it myself and probably will not for the price they want for it.

http://www.orafol.com/gp/americas/e...racal-cleaning-and-care-kit-for-matt-surfaces

http://www.advantagesgs.com/Oracal-Wrapcare-Kit-Matte-4-Bottles-and-2-Sponges

Interestingly they state that the wax for the matte version contains a very high carnauba content. The one thing We have always been told is a no no for use on vinyl. The gloss version is a synthetic. So - according to Orafol carnauba based waxes are what you want for a matte vinyl. Of course I have no idea of the specifics of the formulation that assures you will not be adding any sort of gloss to the finish.

Tizz

I've wrapped part of my car in Avery Matt Black also I use normal car washing detergent to wash it and use a Meguiars quick wax spray over the vinyl. The finish is brilliant, removes all marks and any rain or water repels right off.

Pistol72

I've wrapped part of my car in Avery Matt Black also I use normal car washing detergent to wash it and use a Meguiars quick wax spray over the vinyl. The finish is brilliant, removes all marks and any rain or water repels right off.

Never use the Meguiars product on PVC, it contains chemicals which will negatively affect the vinyl and strip the film of its protection.

From Avery IB 4.14:

Generally, the best way to clean a finished graphic is with a dedicated car wash or
mild liquid detergent. It’s important that the detergent is specifically designed to be used for
vehicles:
• Free from abrasive components;
• Ideally PH Balanced, thus not highly acidic or alkaline (pH level between 5 and 9);
• Free from Alcohol, Acids, Ammonia, Chlorine, Glycol Ethers, Harmful Detergents, Petroleum
Distillates and Phosphates
Note: Do not use common home dishwashing detergents, or any soaps not designed for vehicle
washing.

player

Never use the Meguiars product on PVC, it contains chemicals which will negatively affect the vinyl and strip the film of its protection.

From Avery IB 4.14:

Generally, the best way to clean a finished graphic is with a dedicated car wash or
mild liquid detergent. It’s important that the detergent is specifically designed to be used for
vehicles:
• Free from abrasive components;
• Ideally PH Balanced, thus not highly acidic or alkaline (pH level between 5 and 9);
• Free from Alcohol, Acids, Ammonia, Chlorine, Glycol Ethers, Harmful Detergents, Petroleum
Distillates and Phosphates
Note: Do not use common home dishwashing detergents, or any soaps not designed for vehicle
washing.

I wonder why Sunlight dish soap would be bad?