• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Do You Use? Where To Buy?

JulieS

When we got our new Epson last year, it came with a roll of non-adhesive "paper tape" that's meant to be used to attach the leading edge of material to the take-up roll (see .jpg). Problem is, I'm running out of it and can't figure out where to buy more. Alternatively, is there a simple way to make my own, or is there something else I can use?
Thanks for ideas!

Attachments

• 1108191150.jpg
    1108191150.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 233

Andy D

First thing that comes to mind is drywall paper tape...
I have never tried this method, but it sounds like a great idea.

JulieS

Drywall tape! Good idea! Thanks, Andy D!
I really like using the paper tape because it saves you from having to waste a good bit of the vinyl or banner by pulling it out far enough to reach the take-up. I still cut the V and use masking tape. The paper tape is like an extension. I thought it was a weird idea when I first saw it in the manual, but now I love it.

Last edited:

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
is there something else I can use?
So you're aware, many shops just print and then attach the media when it reaches the take-up core using common masking tape. The operator is there anyway to make sure all is well, etc.

Andy D

So you're aware, many shops just print and then attach the media when it reaches the take-up core using common masking tape. The operator is there anyway to make sure all is well, etc.

I have worked large shops and small shops & I can attest to the fact that in smaller shops, where the same person is printing, designing, & working with customers, more often than not you start a print with the intention
of taping it, but you forget & it ends up filthy on the floor.

Andy D

Cut the edge of the media to a v and use masking tape.

This wouldn't work for me, my printer has a bar the print has to go around, when there is slack the bar drops and activates
the take-up reel... tape would get stuck to the bar.

Bly

This wouldn't work for me, my printer has a bar the print has to go around, when there is slack the bar drops and activates
the take-up reel... tape would get stuck to the bar.

If you're talking about the Epson S60/80 you only have to wait about 2 minutes, tape to the takeup reel, pull the dancer bar forward and it's job done.

Andy D

Drywall tape! Good idea! Thanks, Andy D!
I really like using the paper tape because it saves you from having to waste a good bit of the vinyl or banner by pulling it out far enough to reach the take-up. I still cut the V and use masking tape. The paper tape is like an extension. I thought it was a weird idea when I first saw it in the manual, but now I love it.
JulieS, I don't pump out awesome ideas for my health, I do it for "Pure Genius" stickers! :)

Andy D

If you're talking about the Epson S60/80 you only have to wait about 2 minutes, tape to the takeup reel, pull the dancer bar forward and it's job done.

No, my printer is a Roland & a huge pain in the @ss to tape up to the take up reel, even with enough vinyl sticking out... bad engineering, you pretty much
have to get on your hands and knees to reach back and (hopefully) tape it to a core, this method will be much easier.

Malkin

I have worked large shops and small shops & I can attest to the fact that in smaller shops, where the same person is printing, designing, & working with customers, more often than not you start a print with the intention
of taping it, but you forget & it ends up filthy on the floor.

I'm in this post and I don't like it.

greysquirrel

just tape directly...no need to wast money on the paper roll. There is plenty of clearance to do this on the fly without stopping the printer...

Andy D

When we got our new Epson last year, it came with a roll of non-adhesive "paper tape" that's meant to be used to attach the leading edge of material to the take-up roll (see .jpg). Problem is, I'm running out of it and can't figure out where to buy more. Alternatively, is there a simple way to make my own, or is there something else I can use?
Thanks for ideas!
As I stated earlier, my Roland is a huge pain to tape a vinyl lead to a core, so I wanted to try this...
I cut left over 52" vinyl into 1" strips and peeled back the paper backing on both ends of one, stuck one side to the "V" cut vinyl and the other to the core and it worked like
a charm! Thanks again for this info JulieS, it has solved a daily issue for me.