• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what does the .oz in banner material actually mean?

had a client in and he asked me what the different numbers on banner materials meant. i explained to him the difference between a 10.oz and 13.oz etc, what its recommended uses were for etc etc etc. he then asked me what the .oz's actually meant.....got me stumped on that to be honest! i know its discribing the weight/thickness of the banner material etc but what does it actually mean? is it something to do with a thread count in so many sq2 or something??

yeah but how do they work it out? how/what do they base that unit of measure on? for example on bed linen you have a thread count, so many threads per sq inch or whatever it is....

Firefox

I don't know either, but it might be something like paper. Ever try to figure out how they get the different paper weights?

It is something like 500 sheets of the paper in it's original parent size sheet.

Maybe Banner is based on a per square yard weight or some specific dimension.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I've always understood it to mean the weight of one square yard of the material. Obviously the higher the number, the thicker the material. Banner material, rip-stop nylon, Carhartt Brown Duck material...whatever....they all follow the same method of measurement.

From Wikipedia:

Fabric weight
Ounces are also used to express the "weight", or more accurately density, of a textile fabric in North America, Asia or the UK, as in "16 oz denim". The number refers to the weight in ounces of a given amount of fabric, either a yard of a given width, or a square yard.[5][6]

Dave Drane

OZ is a short name for Australians ie: Aussies = ozzies shortened to OZ. So it means the amount of ozzies that actually made the material!! jk..:ROFLMAO:

dwt

^
Allegedly the word canvas was a mispronunciation of cannabis by the Dutch asking for textile fiber.

It would sure be nice to compost old banners instead of filling of the dumpster.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Weight per square yard is correct.

Moreover, this is just weight and nothing else. It says absolutely nothing about thickness, durability, or whatever. It just states how much 9 square feet happen to weigh.

The only comparison you can make between, say, 10oz material and 13oz material based on weight is that the 13oz weighs more. You already knew that. Any other speculation as to relative sturdiness or anything else is meaningless.

dj_elite

Weight per square yard is correct.

Moreover, this is just weight and nothing else. It says absolutely nothing about thickness, durability, or whatever. It just states how much 9 square feet happen to weigh.

The only comparison you can make between, say, 10oz material and 13oz material based on weight is that the 13oz weighs more. You already knew that. Any other speculation as to relative sturdiness or anything else is meaningless.

So company A may make a 10oz banner material that is better than company B's 13oz, but because the weight is heavier it leads us to believe the 13oz is better. So heavier is not necessarily better than correct?

some intersting facts...thanks guys! i can now inform my customer as he wanted to know....just one of those little things thats gets you thinking what it actually means!