• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what exactely is a

Dubs Chops

Lamination, I'm supposing it is putting somekind of clear vinyl over your other vinyl graphics or something along those lines? or am I way off?

imaSIGNr

That is exactly right. Usually used with printed vinyl because of the short life of a print without it. Prints will scratch and can be smeared by solvents etc. So a laminate is usually ( not always ) used.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Check with your local supplier. There are liquid lams as well as vinyl and rigid laminates. Some are applied by hand while some are done with a laminating machine which there are hot and cold types for that also.

With vinyl, it is considered laminating, while with paint or screen printing it's usually considered clear coat.

Dubs Chops

what about a color banner? do they usually get laminated? or is the life not expected to be that long anyways?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I wouldn't waste the material or the time. Banners are considered temporary for the most part. With most printers, it will last 2 to 3 years without lamination. Your call.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I always give them a coat of Clear Shield. Printed banners that is, which is pretty much the only kind I do anymore. It takes maybe 5 minutes max, brightens the colors, and it provides a pretty good level of abrasion protection.