• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What font to use ?

SIGNTIME

We have a customer who owns a jewlery store and he wants to change is sign again... This will be the third time and I would like some input on which font to chose. We asked if he wanted a logo designed and he said, "no just white script on black backround is what I want." So we showed him a few we picked out and he chose and liked it then a month later he wanted it less "scripty" so he decided on this one. Now he wants it to be "more eligant and a little bolder". Maybe we haven't been giving him the best choices or maybe we will just be making him new signs every couple of months forever?

Attachments

• devuyst.jpg
    devuyst.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 86

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Try looking into your decorative font collection area.

Jewelers usually want understated elegance. The one pictured looks like it belongs at a luncheonette, not a jeweler.

True scripts are not easily read at a glace and that's probably his complaint and doesn't even realize it. Also, the white on black is hard when using frilly or thin scripts on a black background.

Although you're not designing a logo, I would think asking him for a design fee would be in your next conversation with him. He's not gonna wanna pay for a sign to see if he likes it everytime. So, get it over with and ask him for a retainer for this feqat of magic, he wants.

Border

Snapper Script, perhaps?

Yea, I know I forgot the y in DeVuyst...

Attachments

• s101.jpg
    s101.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 97

SIGNTIME

yea that was pretty much the only one i came up with haha and gino you are right, we did add 10 mins labor for the previous ones which is how long it took to put together a short list of fonts

buckssigns

I think Sloop Script takes some beating when looking for the class and elegance one might expect from a Jewellers.

Used here with Socrates.

Attachments

• DeVuyst Jewelery.jpg
    DeVuyst Jewelery.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 84

Pat Whatley

Get away from the "sign painter" scripts and look more toward "calligrapher" scripts. Sloop is an excellent choice.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
I prefer Bucksigns' design...
Your last one doesn't really say 'class' to me, sorry!
(Pat's comment re calligraphic scripts Vs signpainter scripts is totally right.)

SIGNTIME

Thanks for the solid suggestions, I'm gonna buy a few fonts it looks like. One of my biggest problems is that I am shy on the number of good fonts that I have. I need to find a good place to get a hold of a few good font packs.

Marlene

Have to agree on Sloop for a choice. That's my go to elegant choice.
me too. it looks elegant and not over done as some of the bolder scripts seem to make it look. love the simple inner border too

Jillbeans

Buck's says elegance...your original says cubic zirconia on a ring that will turn your finger green.
(no offense to Steve C, I love that font but not for a jewelry store)
Love....Jill

Suz

In my opinion, the "socrates" font is difficult to read from a distance. It looks elegant though. Perhaps it is just the word Jewelry that looks odd with that lettering. Not sure, but it does not float my boat.

I do however, like the sloop font choice for the last name. The last name you can't change (haha), but it is a tough one to look at too!

I think Sloop Script takes some beating when looking for the class and elegance one might expect from a Jewellers.

Used here with Socrates.