• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What goes on first PPF or Vinyl wrap?

I am just curious to see what others do when it comes to doing ppf and vinyl wraps. we have a client looking to get a colour change wrap done but also wants it to protect the paint underneath. we told him that he would want a ppf wrap to protect from rock chips and things and then to wrap over top to change the colour. We do regular colour changes but dont do the ppf so we sent him to the local ppf guys. The ppf guys said the opposite, colour change then ppf. I can see the benefits of both ways but curious as to what others would do? I also understand that there is colour ppf but it is limited to certain colours.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
We don't deal with PPF at all, but common sense would lead me to think to apply wrap first, then PPF. Wrap over PPF would make PPF pointless, wouldn't it?

We don't deal with PPF at all, but common sense would lead me to think to apply wrap first, then PPF. Wrap over PPF would make PPF pointless, wouldn't it?
my thoughts are PPF last longer than a wrap and if the client wanted to change the colour or go back to the original it would seem to be a waste of PPF.

BigNate

I have always been advised that the quality of the original paint can not be guaranteed after any wrap - especially after color changing wrap. This is not my main area of expertise, but it makes sense that the application or removal may damage the underlying paint (not to mention the reaction between the adhesive and the paint...)

Modern Ink Signs

Premium Subscriber
Not 100% sure but have done some PPF and the process of doing that. I’d say PPF then wrap.

PPF goes on wet and is a thick material and harder to work with compared to wrap vinyls. Just make sure you carry your wrap around your edges.

ikarasu

Ppf is like a thick cell phone protector. You'll still get rock chips and scratches... But it protects what's underneath of it.

If you ppf under a wrap... Then when the customer gets a bunch of chips out of their wrap you'd need to replace the wrap, and likely the ppf... Where as if you do it the other way around you only need to replace the ppf portion.

I'd wrap first and then ppf on-top.

Ppf is always weird cut lines / shapes... It hardly ever is a full covered panel, Wrapping on-top of that would look weird...a d likely cause an early failure of the wrap. Not to mention there are cutouts and stuff for sensors / small lights, so unless you're also cutting the wrap portion away, it'd be kind of tricky for the vinyl to hold on.

Certain parts you may get away with ppf under Neath, but I think wrapping a bumper that has ppf on it would be next to impossible.

There are cutouts for under door handles to protect your car from keys as well, ppfing under the wrap wouldnt help in cases like that

johnnysigns

It honestly depends on the finish of the color they want. Ideally I'd want PPF over the wrap which is manageable if they choose a gloss or matte finish. Satins pose another problem as there's no satin PPF that I know of.

We do both and I would say PPF over the wrap unless, like johnnysigns said, they chose some texture or different finish.

The PPF stands out much more if it's under the wrap, unless they PPF the entire hood, fenders, etc. Another problem is that the PPF will be discolored if the wrap is left on too long and there's a chance you won't be able to pull the wrap off without pulling some of the PPF up with it or leaving a bunch of adhesive.

I wouldn't say either way is wrong or right, but it looks better if it's on top.