• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what happend to windows picture and fax viewer

signguy 55

My wife's computer doesn't have Windows picture and fax viewer as a list of programs when she's wanting to view pictures. Windows Live Gallery shows as an option but for some reason it won't load her pictures.

Any of you gurus able to tell me if it's something that can be loaded or found in the program? She's running Windows xp home edition.

Just in case, are there alternatives that could be used? Thanks in advance.

round man

go here "C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen" or paste " rundll32.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\shimgvw.dll,ImageView_Fullscreen " in the run box(without the quotation marks) and it should open a blank window of the viewer,.you should be able to drag and drop photos into the blank window and see them...another option I use is a free download of irfranview with the plugins and you can view just about any graphic file out there including vector file types

Bly

I tried finding it to view images emailed to me but turns out it's not a program.
In the end I set Firefox as the program used to view files & am happy how it works.

round man

actually it is subroutine for a rundll32.exe with specific switches to make the viewer work,...if you are having problems with it I would suggest irfranview as it is much more powerful and easy to use,...it will also convert many graphic filetypes from one type to another while being able to view just about any type of graphic file with no hassle,....it is what I usually install on all my machines as soon as I set a new one up for my clients because it is so easy to use

OldPaint

seems not all things WINDOWS 7 are improvments. this is one of them. also if you have folders in your email, and load WIN 7.........NO MORE FOLDERS....WIN 7 just does something with all of it.

ThinkRight

seems not all things WINDOWS 7 are improvments. this is one of them. also if you have folders in your email, and load WIN 7.........NO MORE FOLDERS....WIN 7 just does something with all of it.
I had the same thing happen with my work computer.
And for some reason the VPN client does not work.
Buncha bugs to work out as with all of Windows upgrades.
Such is life.

signswi

Win 7 is an OS not an email program, your complaint is with your email software, which I'm assuming is some version of Outlook.

At least be accurate when you complain....

OP, why use Pic and Fax Viewer, it's terrible. Which is why they replaced it in 7 with Windows Photo Viewer. XP is now eleven years old.

Download and install irfanview or any one of a thousand other free image viewers. Done.

Last edited:

J Hill Designs

when I migrated the bosses emails to windows live from outlook express, it kept the folders, but they were down on the left

OldPaint

signswi, wow how astute of you. OUTLOOK EXPRESS was the email viewer PROVIDES IN ALL OTHER WINDOWS OS VERSIONS..............unless you was told by someone other then M/S, you would expect it to be in WIN 7. IT ISNT and it lost all the folders on my wifes computer which had VISTA and i upgraded that to WIN 7 PRO.