• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What happened to this banner?

GoodPeopleFlags

I've been in the sign biz for about 20 years and have never seen this happen under the circumstances which it did. These pics are of a banner we made about 3 weeks ago. It's about 2'x6', single sided, printed on the Epson GS6000, hemmed top and bottom, grommets. The banner material brand is Optima Opti-Solve Basic Scrim Banner Gloss 13oz.

It looks like an old banner that was folded up for a long time but it's not. Like I said, we made it about 3 weeks ago. It's not torn around the grommets; if it was I would assume they hung it up incorrectly. We haven't had enough wind around here recently (except for a small tornado!) for this to happen, and if wind was the cause, again I think it would be around the grommets, too.

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen this? Is it operator error or a bad roll of banner material?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 100_1734.jpg
    100_1734.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 100_1735.jpg
    100_1735.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 136
  • 100_1736.jpg
    100_1736.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 127

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
I had one do that to me recently as well. We had a hard frost then freeze, and the banner cracked like crazy when we went outside to take it down that day because we were going to change it out anyway. If you want to test it, just take some blank banner, mist it with water, then throw it in the freezer overnight. My guess would be that it froze and they either had enough wind to damage it or they tried to roll/fold it up when it was frozen. Nothing you can do about that. Not something I would ever think to tell a customer either though. Good luck with it.

Circleville Signs

Looks like either bad material...OR...

Was it out int he cold while folded up? It looks like the vinyl got very brittle and then broke.

Gary

Pat Whatley

I've got a roll of stock banner material on the table that does that. This is just speculation from observation but it seems like the vinyl itself is brittle. It feels okay on the roll or as a finished banner but if it gets a crease in it or a dimple you get the flaking you're showing, especially when it's cold.

It doesn't take a hard fold to make the crease. If you've got the banner rolled up and it bends slightly when you try to unroll it the little fold in the crease will run along the banner for several feet. That's what yours looks like.

GoodPeopleFlags

Thanks for the responses! I would like to believe it's the cold weather rather than a bad roll of material. I'd hate to think every banner we've made in the last 3 weeks is going to come back! It's been extremely cold for Alabama; we had a 10 day run about 3 weeks ago where the temp didn't get above freezing. Then it warmed up and we had a tornado! (Alot of damage a couple of blocks from my house. We heard and saw it. Freaky!) But the tornado was pretty localized and not in the area where the banner was. But now it's *really* cold again. I don't think they would have taken it down unless it was damaged, tho. I think I'll try the experiment with a small piece of scrap. Keep the suggestions coming if ya got 'em!

By the way, in case you can't tell, the material isn't just creased. It's *torn*, for lack of a better word.

gabagoo

That is caused by sub freezing temperatures and I have seen it before..... Customer error!!!!!

I have seen some banners basically desintagrate from cold weather and constant flapping in the wind.

ABPGraphics

I have seen this happen before too........but this was in Florida - cold temps was not the issue - we thought wind had something to do with it

GoodPeopleFlags

You never warranty a banner. NEVER

We didn't. However, we are going to replace it out of good customer service sake. It's a 2'x6'; not worth losing a repeat customer over.

I'm starting to think that the customer might be only putting the banner out on the weekends, in the grassy area of the shopping center, and taking it up on Monday before the sign police come get it. If that's the case, she might've taken it in while it was frozen and folded it up. We're going to ask her if she is doing that. I'll let ya know what she says. Thanks!

GoodPeopleFlags

I have seen this happen before too........but this was in Florida - cold temps was not the issue - we thought wind had something to do with it

Well, that's weird. Do you know what type of banner material it was? Just wondering if it happened to you recently and if so, if it was the same material.

TheSnowman

If they didn't have it totally tight and it was breezy and colder at all, that will happen. I told a guy he'd get a few months out of a banner no problem, it lasted maybe a month. He just had four ropes tied between two posts, and it wasn't tight at all. The thing tore itself apart very quickly.

Bly

Looks like careless handling to me. There are areas where the ink looks like it's been scuffed by dragging across something. And the creases may be from folding when ultra cold. Ask them if they've been taking it down.

Tim Aucoin

I agree with the cold theory. I see that kind of damage a lot here in the winter (and we get VERY cold sometimes). People need to let the vinyl warm back up before attempting to roll it up (especially if they're not using a tube). Looking at your pics, I agree... looks like she folded it up in a hurry while it was cold. Nice of you to re-do it for her, but let here know that it is her wrecking it... :rolleyes:

SeaWriter

Actual manufacturer’s specifications for banner materials often only suggest a temperature service range down to about 40oF or perhaps 32oF. Practical experience has shown me that some banner materials can handle much colder conditions while some give in much sooner.

Right now blame it on the cold and go have a cold one!

GoodPeopleFlags

Actual manufacturer’s specifications for banner materials often only suggest a temperature service range down to about 40oF or perhaps 32oF. Practical experience has shown me that some banner materials can handle much colder conditions while some give in much sooner.

Right now blame it on the cold and go have a cold one!

:beer :beer I think I'll have 2! It's freezing here! I really don't know how you people live up north! :toasting: