Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What happens when you don't get a permit

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Texas_Signmaker, Aug 14, 2019 at 7:23 PM.

1. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Tags:
  2. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Don't think I could bring myself to go there with Kuby's right close.

3. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    $6k seems like a lot of biscuits

4. bannertime

bannertime "You guys do banners, right?"

Sep 8, 2016
    Arlington, TX
    The sign permit is $75 and they specify an "inspection fee" that is double the permit in the event a sign does not get a permit. Seems like the city should tell them to cough up $300 and move on. It's all about the money anyway or maybe someone at the city has a bruised ego. Sounds pretty similar to what happened here with a local bbq joint.

5. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    It deals with "Linear Space".

6. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    pretty much every town near me has something in the sign ordinance restricting murals like this. That being said, I'm sure they got way more than $6K worth of advertising out of it, so maybe that was their idea all along!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    This reminds me of a funny story. My son has a summer job for a landscaping company. In the beginning of summer the owner told him if he ever hears him yell "RUN" he should just run through the yards and wait for a phone call. Well, it happened a few days later, the boss went running and the kids drove off. No permit. A few weeks after that, the boss and a contractor got into such a heated argument over who was supposed to pull the permit fists almost started flying. He yelled at my son to get into the truck. He was later told never to worry about it if he gets into a fight because he's never lost a fight, just get in the truck and stay away. As a mother I'm thinking...WTH! But as a teenage boy...it's the best, most exciting job ever! LOL!!! As for the landscaper, no fines yet that I know of!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  8. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    Ummm .... I duno about that. Bosses for teens are supposed to be role models for how business and life is conducted, especially if there is no father figure. I've had some pretty good role models that were my bosses and shaped who I am now. Had some stupid ones too but I don't like taking orders from dumb people so I left those jobs.

9. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    That's insane. My city has strange ideas on what does and doesn't count as art...
    upload_2019-8-15_9-19-38.png
    This mural is like 15'x12', the sign is 6'x6'.

10. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    LOL, yes, I agree. No worries, this guy is actually a good guy and a really good customer of mine. He's checked in with me a couple times this summer to make sure I'm OK with the hours and the work. He whipped my son into a man this summer with 12 hour days of physical labor. My son is well paid and well respected so I'm not too concerned. Overall, it's been a very good experience for my son to learn what hard work is and be rewarded for it. There's some sketchy characters in the construction/excavating business and there's nothing wrong with seeing what it's like NOT to work in an office like we do. As for the running...I'm not a fan but we had a long discussion about that :) If it weren't for this job, I'm not sure he would venture 3 states away for college without his mommy and daddy by his side next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

I would put in for a variance at least before painting over them. Our city doesn't know what to do with signage. Hell, a friend that owns another shop has turned most of the other shops in town in for not pulling permits. The city doesn't do a thing about it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    its thousands $$ for us to apply for a variance in most towns. a variance for a $2K sign can be $10K.

13. rmaclucy

rmaclucy Member

May 27, 2009
    Cincinnati, OH
    Get a variance. Cincinnati is horrible with their permitting. We actually waited 3 months for a revocable street privilege. We tell all our clients that permitting can take anywhere between 1 to 12 weeks to go through.

14. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    The Park Cities aren't known for giving variances lol....it's typically their way or the highway.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

It's probably because the "mural" doesn't include the business name in it.

16. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Yeah, but it's much more blatantly advertising the business by using the 'logo' that is the W, than the article in reference.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    it was $6k to paint it....chances are, the owners still haven't received the daily fines they'll keep running the tab on until it is covered/removed.
    I was once fined $100/day for replacing a verizon wireless graphic with a pizza place graphic on their illuminated awning because I didn't pull a permit assuming that graphic changes for tenants were allowed. ...guess not!

...and yet, just up the street from us a bar owner paints the entire side of his building with a Pabst Blue Ribbon ad, because it was a "restoration" of one that the building had back in the 50's that had faded/washed-away a long time ago & therefore, considered "historic" and even got money from the city to pay for part of it.

18. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    It's like little California down there... Million bucks for a house on a lot that you can't even fit a car in the driveway on.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Moze

Moze Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    I know...my brother was in town and we were driving through there and I told him these were all million dollar homes. He's like "why??" lol. I said because then they can tell all their friends they live in the Park Cities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. MikePatterson

MikePatterson Head bathroom cleaner.

Yall can keep anything east of 35W. I will be happy dealing with Fort Worth and cities west!!! As bad as I hate our code department here it's defiantly not as bad as out yalls way.