• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What hourly rate do you charge for jobs that require two people onsite?

Jeremiah

If you just tell the customer that you are charging 150.00 to 200.00 per hour to hang the sign that he just paid 1000 00 for, he says "Thanks anyway , I'll have someone take care if that" Problem Solved..

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If you just tell the customer that you are charging 150.00 to 200.00 per hour to hang the sign that he just paid 1000 00 for, he says "Thanks anyway , I'll have someone take care if that" Problem Solved..
There's hundreds of talented and reliable gig workers in my community that will install signs for $20 - $25 an hour. Most do not have insurance, so I can't use them as subcontractors, but my customers are free to use them, and they do.

Of course, the situation is completely different if union labor is required. I am not a union shop (used to be), so I don't get those jobs anymore, but if you are in the installation and maintenance business that is the place to be. When union labor is required to install a sign, it is not unusual for the installation cost to far exceed the cost of the sign. I'm happy to give the union guys work, but most of the giggers I work with are more resourceful and much faster. I guess there is a place in this world for everybody!

Hardcorpatts

I suppose it depends on the actual install. I.e do you need a gopher or two lead guys? This wouod probably be specific to your shop and/or the individual job.

The on site charge should definitely be higher than the shop charge. You need to also pay for the work in the shop that these guys might be doing if they’re also production guys etc.
where you guys all from!?! You need to up your rates boys up here an elliot l-60 with 2 man crew welder oxy acet torches full cordless set up the works is 185 plus an hour. Overtime charges apply. G85? Is around 225 an hour. These trucks aren't cheap to run, you have to pay for the maintenance the fuel the yearly certifications that have to be done to certify the craanes, The safety training the safety equipment PPE cones and barricades permits do you want to get your guys a good health plan and the pension plan and a good wage installers are hard to find then you're gonna want to keep them around.

I don't know how it works for you guys this summer if I run a truck or there are guys that run trucks at that hourly rate and the generator is plugged into the truck motor is starstruck motor started the generator generator is connected to the boom somehow all maI don't know how it works for you guys this summer if I run a truck or there are guys that run trucks at that hourly rate and they have bald car tires on their trucks, theres band aids on the hoses, its hudraulic everywhere the generator runs the heater to warm the cab, that's what you get for lowballing you don't make any money there needs to be a more level playing field you know, Close the gap still be competitive your double on your materials you Gotta make money man you got to stay in business y'all have a good maintained equipment good trained staff that's what your customers want it cost money these rigs aren't cheap to run. Materials are becoming more expensive everything's going up you Gotta keep with the times don't be afraid to charge what your worth you're gonna be doing a lot of up-and-down on your month ends up first figure out what works for you you'll get the hang of it you just Gotta do your networking talk to people but I'll tell you one thing my truck wouldn't leave the yard for $115 an hour I'll tell you that I'd go broke

Moze

Precision Sign Services
where you guys all from!?! You need to up your rates boys up here an elliot l-60 with 2 man crew welder oxy acet torches full cordless set up the works is 185 plus an hour. Overtime charges apply. G85? Is around 225 an hour. These trucks aren't cheap to run, you have to pay for the maintenance the fuel the yearly certifications that have to be done to certify the craanes, The safety training the safety equipment PPE cones and barricades permits do you want to get your guys a good health plan and the pension plan and a good wage installers are hard to find then you're gonna want to keep them around.

I don't know how it works for you guys this summer if I run a truck or there are guys that run trucks at that hourly rate and the generator is plugged into the truck motor is starstruck motor started the generator generator is connected to the boom somehow all maI don't know how it works for you guys this summer if I run a truck or there are guys that run trucks at that hourly rate and they have bald car tires on their trucks, theres band aids on the hoses, its hudraulic everywhere the generator runs the heater to warm the cab, that's what you get for lowballing you don't make any money there needs to be a more level playing field you know, Close the gap still be competitive your double on your materials you Gotta make money man you got to stay in business y'all have a good maintained equipment good trained staff that's what your customers want it cost money these rigs aren't cheap to run. Materials are becoming more expensive everything's going up you Gotta keep with the times don't be afraid to charge what your worth you're gonna be doing a lot of up-and-down on your month ends up first figure out what works for you you'll get the hang of it you just Gotta do your networking talk to people but I'll tell you one thing my truck wouldn't leave the yard for $115 an hour I'll tell you that I'd go broke
Very few on here are running anything close to a crane or even a bucket truck.

Hardcorpatts

Very few on here are running anything close to a crane or even a bucket truck.
Ok then well that'll be 185 dollars and thanks !! Lol why not? Primarily custom sign fabricators? Do ship up to canada? Of so, and you make channel letters or custom metal, or fab composite panel cladding i could use a contact if you guy happen to know. Thank ls and sorry. Im in the wrong forum. Little embarrassing hahaha!

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Ok then well that'll be 185 dollars and thanks !! Lol why not? Primarily custom sign fabricators? Do ship up to canada? Of so, and you make channel letters or custom metal, or fab composite panel cladding i could use a contact if you guy happen to know. Thank ls and sorry. Im in the wrong forum. Little embarrassing hahaha!
thesignsyndicate.com would probably be a better fit for you. They're more focused on pylons, channel letters, etc.

Precision

$95 hour single installer. $125 an hour two installers. We Include all time including drive to and from to calculate the charge. Goal is to try to bill a 4 hour minimum on jobs offsite to make it worth the effort.

GB2

Old Member
Don't be sorry....there are all types of sign companies on here and some more conversation of the type you are talking about would be welcome. Please feel free to continue bringing those things up, I'm quite sure that everyone on the SignSyndicate and Letterville are also in here but just don't speak up as much. Maybe you can wake them all up a little!

You could always start separate threads regarding these things and only those that would be interested hopefully would contribute.

Last edited:

GB2

Old Member
$95 hour single installer. $125 an hour two installers. We Include all time including drive to and from to calculate the charge. Goal is to try to bill a 4 hour minimum on jobs offsite to make it worth the effort.
I think your rate for two installers is too low. In your example I would charge $95 for the single installer and $142.50 for two.

To the original question, I often struggle with this also but I think the reasonable answer is more like what you would pay someone in your shop. Your shop rate or what your would bill out for your top employee or yourself may be $75 per hour but if you hire someone new you may only pay them $15 per hour plus overhead, which would probably equal about $37.50 per hour. Therefore I think you are correct in thinking that one lead technician should warrant $75 per hour and a second employee would be billed at $37.50 per hour. Of course you would add charges for travel, trucks, equipment and anything else you may be using.

This is only my first impression, personal opinion. I'm sure there are books, best practices and business standards that would provide a definitive answer....I'm sure I have one somewhere if I could only find it or find the time to read it!

Last edited:

Billct2

Installs are the person's shop rate (which is based on their pay rate) plus the truck rate. Even our humble pick up truck isn't cheap to run or insure and that has to be covered. Then depending on the type of work involved I may add a additional PITA amount. A second person on the truck is charged at their shop rate.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Not exactly sign related but business related in general...trying to explain hourly rate to my boys who are half way into starting their lawn service business. Business plan is almost done, equipment bought, they have some jobs for spring.

However...they argued with me about "per job" vs. "hourly rate"... because they charge "per job"

It took me a while to explain to them that even though they are not charging "per hour" it's "per job" they still need to know how much they need to charge "per hour" to keep the lights on. Now that they understand that, we wonder the best way to calculate the hourly rate, do you add both incomes in or treat one as an employee to calculate that ultimate hourly rate?

I printed a few copies of the signcraft hourly rate calculator and we adjusted the categories, the theory is the same.

For the equipment, we estimated the life of the equipment down to the month so that can be added in. I think when you first start it's important to add everything in even if it's 100% paid for in cash at the start of the business...right?

Thanks for any help even though it's not sign related...they both had their own lawn service business on a small scale in high school so now they want to expand.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Had a grass guy doing my work about 3 years ago. Sounds like your kids, but this guy was 49 years old. He went out and bought a zero turn, 2 weed whackers, trailer and some other things. We lettered his truck and he was set. I asked him, how much to do my lawn here at the shop. Ohhh, I can do that in about 20 minutes and blow it off in another 10 minutes. $25.00. Deal. Asked him to come to my house and quote me. Same thing. he walked it and said I can do it in about an hour or so and as I get used to it, I'll get it done in less. $55.00. Deal. He never got the shop done in under an hour and the house took him 2.25 to 2.50 hours and that was really rushing. Ya need a system or you'll go broke running by the seat of your pants.

edit: he's outta business for 2 years now...... after he bought a second zero turn and a bigger trailer.

CanuckSigns

I would charge double your single installer rate, and make sure you have a minimum number of hours per job, We have a client who is 15 minute drive from our shop, by the time you pack your tools, drive there, unpack, install, re pack, drive back and unload you are at a minimum of 2 hours, even if you are drilling 4 holes in drywall and hanging a simple ADA sign.

And for the love of god, never tell them you can give them a price break if they can wait until you have another job in their area, they will call you 3 times a week so see when you are coming by, ask me how I know.