• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What I learned today.. lol (cutting with marks)

WCSign

So I cut some big company logos out today.. printed, removed to laminate and put back in..

well I neglected to center on media.. so the crop marks were close to the edge, and when I laminated I trimmed even more of that edge off.

once I placed the media back in, the printer couldnt find the crop marks. Now we all know its a pain in the butt when these printers cant do something, it takes forever to cancel, reposition media etc etc.

after 4-5 tries, I decided to see of the fact that the pinchroll was extremely close to running over the crop mark made a difference. Sure enough it did.

so lesson learned, pinch roll position applies to cutting just as it applies to printing,and even though they werent over my image, the fact that they were close to crop marks errored the machine

WCSign

because its not that huge of a deal to cut off 1/4 inck of the vinyl when running an exacto knife down a 4 foot peice versus trying to stay nice and pretty with the line

petepaz

i have had similar problems and i just took a scrap piece of vinyl and attached it to the edge so you have a enough excess

Speedsterbeast

When cutting off excess laminate you can gently push the side of the blade against the media to use a guide so it leaves the full width of the media. Just cut slow so if the blade jumps on the media you have time to stop the cut.
This works well on my glass top table. I've never used a cutting mat so I can't speak for those.

WCSign

Well apparently it is a huge deal....if it results in the marks not being read! :Big Laugh
yeah yeah LOL

When cutting off excess laminate you can gently push the side of the blade against the media to use a guide so it leaves the full width of the media. Just cut slow so if the blade jumps on the media you have time to stop the cut.
This works well on my glass top table. I've never used a cutting mat so I can't speak for those.

yeah ive done that.. works nice.. this was just some stuff for one of my own companies so I was zooming through it

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
because its not that huge of a deal to cut off 1/4 inck of the vinyl when running an exacto knife down a 4 foot peice versus trying to stay nice and pretty with the line

One of the characteristics of a journeyman sign wrangler is the ability to run an Xacto knife down an edge dead straight for at least a 1/4 mile.

Seriously, it's a learned skill and one you get it you just set the knife down and pull it along. Hint: look at the blade, not your hand. If you're trying to drive a nail you don't look at the hammer.