• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What if client emails you a font they want to use

64Mustang

and you know they didn't obtain it legally? Can you still do the job for them because you aren't the one providing the font?

I'm getting ready to do my first Craft Show in 2 weeks and I want to have my answer prepared in advance for when somebody asks me this question.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
64Mustang said:
and you know they didn't obtain it legally? Can you still do the job for them because you aren't the one providing the font?

I'm getting ready to do my first Craft Show in 2 weeks and I want to have my answer prepared in advance for when somebody asks me this question.

First off, someone inquiring as to this has about the same probability as a full planetary alignment coincident with a complete parting of the waters. But if someone should ask, you are under no obligation whatsoever to provide an answer. Instead develop your own version of the Withering Stare [tm]. Nowhere is it written that you have to respond to each and every silly and/or nosy question someone might put to you.

I've literally thousands of font files, 99% of them utter garbage, and I have no idea from whence most of them might have come. Moreover, I really don't care and should someone be bold enough to inquire the Withering Stare will be brought to bear on them. While I know where the few that I have bought have originated, the origins of the rest of them are a Mystery [tm] lost in the dim mists of time. Nonetheless I'd be loathe to offer any explanation to anyone about any of them.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
There was a time when the major font manufacturers had rules against supplying your licensed fonts to a jobber or service bureau ... expecting them to license their own copies to legally do the work. Those positions have been relaxed by most foundries and the only requirement most make is that you destroy the supplied copy when the work is completed.

In actual experience, we probably average less than one client a year wanting to supply their own special font. Most don't even know what they identify themselves with. The few that do, will be able to name it and sometimes even tell you where to get it.

In 23 years of sign making, I have never experienced what you are saying has or may happen. In any event, it is not your job to play copyright cop and your client's procurement habits should not be made part of your problems.

Ken

Well, I have had this happen 3 times now.
The client has already basically designed a sign using some small graphics program like Printshop or the one that comes with Epson etc. They are stuck on the font, so they send it over to me from their windows font folder.
Those fonts came within the program they bought and it is now being used for their signage. I don't have a problem with that.
Ken

64Mustang

I make kids products that are made to go along with popular character themes but I do not use the official fonts or anything even remotely copyrighted. I go thru my fonts and see what I have (that I obtained legally) and see if I can get sort of close to the real deal or that evokes the same kind of look & feel. I'm anticipating someone asking me to use the "real Disney letters" or something of that nature.

Geary

Hmmmmmm?......sounds like I'd be more afraid of the "kid's products" that "go along with popular character themes" than the font in question here. Just what in the heck are you making anyhow?

And I promise I'm not a toy copyright cop and I won't tell one about you either. :wink:

~Gear

64Mustang

I make custom clear vinyl: shower curtains, art aprons, bibs & placemats. I use Oracal vinyl but I'm not making signs like you guys are. Could I make a simple real estate sign topper. Probably. Could I make a yard sale sign. Probably. But certainly do NOT claim to be a signmaker. I'm a vinyl user and that's about it.

If somebody has a Sponge Bob bathroom but hates the shower curtain from WalMart I can make one that matches the colors used in their accessories and that has their kids names on it. No licensed characters. No pirated fonts. No phrases used by characters. I just do the kids names in colors that match the characters colors - period.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Ken said:
Well, I have had this happen 3 times now.
The client has already basically designed a sign using some small graphics program like Printshop or the one that comes with Epson etc. They are stuck on the font, so they send it over to me from their windows font folder.
Those fonts came within the program they bought and it is now being used for their signage. I don't have a problem with that.
Ken

The fonts being supplied to you from those applications are almost certainly renamed, pirated clones of original commercial fonts. It became legal to do this for over ten years in the US until Adobe finally won in court. It is highly doubtful that anyone is going to complain about a customer supplying a knocked off clone to you and you using it. Most of the companies that did these clones have moved onto greener pastures anyway.

MVIP

Ok, I'm not a toy cop either.

But I have to ask. So you are making cartoon characters that look close enough to the originals to be passed on as the originals, but are worried that the font may put you over the edge of copyright infringement.

Now I understand! But if it looks like the mouse and smells like the mouse by god it's the mouse.

I personally won't cut any of "those" characters. Not even for my kids. Too much risk and if you sell enough to make any money they will catch you. Same font or not.

Focus on businesses. Much more profit potential there.

-matt

Ken

Yes, I've noticed thru my font searches how many fonts are re-named and presented as "new". Sometimes they take the trouble to minutely change certain aspects of the font. No wonder we have a gazillion fonts in this world!
Hey , I think I'll make my own font!
Ken