• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What if Covid vaccine required a subscriber fee?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
It seems like everything else nowadays requires a subscriber fee. I can just imagine in the not-too-distant future it might just happen.

My parents were on a pharmacological treadmill of sorts...which, in a sense, is the same thing, don't you think?

JB

Saturn

Aging Member
In theory that's what paying for insurance and occasionally visiting the doctor is. But I like your thinking... Do they have one for hair loss?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
They should upload it to the cloud. Then anyone who wants it can register and download it when needed.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Who knows James, nothing would surprise me at this point.

I read an article last night about companies and places potentially requiring proof of vaccination in order to use their services. (Airlines, concerts, restaurants etc.)

That might get ugly, but if that's what it takes to get chit back to normal then so be it. (Only IF vaccine is actually safe, will be a while before we know that)

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin
https://www.npr.org/2015/03/02/3902...safety-quote-lost-its-context-in-21st-century
WITTES: It is a quotation that defends the authority of a legislature to govern in the interests of collective security. It means, in context, not quite the opposite of what it's almost always quoted as saying but much closer to the opposite than to the thing that people think it means.

WildWestDesigns

I read an article last night about companies and places potentially requiring proof of vaccination in order to use their services. (Airlines, concerts, restaurants etc.)

While I am far from an anti vaxxer, I certainly don't like some chemical being forced down me that was rushed through production. It may be safe, it may be 100% effective (I doubt it, I certainly doubt effective rates coming from the maker of anything), I don't like the thought of someone forcing something down me. At all. Now, if certain services say either show proof (which isn't that a violation of HIPAA as it is?) or you get nothing from us. I just don't won't use their services. Granted, I'm pretty much a hermit as it is, so it is very easy for me to say this. Restaurants at one time may have been my Achilles heel, but with the measures that have been imposed here, going out to eat isn't really worth the effort and once someone gets out of the habit of something, that's pretty much it.

That might get ugly, but if that's what it takes to get chit back to normal then so be it. (Only IF vaccine is actually safe, will be a while before we know that)

That really didn't stop those incidents in Texas back in the early aughts where they forced vaccinations on school girls (HPV vaccine I think it was). If I recall correctly, Perry was close to one of the lobbyists that worked for the maker.

Notarealsignguy

I can buy into the argument of a rushed vaccine being a hazard but in reality, it has been vetted through proper scientific method. These were rushed due to the severity of covid, not necessarily in a race to profit. Many things can be developed extremely fast when there is a need for it. That extreme need just doesn't present itself very often. I also can't see these drug companies, at this point in time, opening themselves up to endless litigation over a vaccine with multiple competitors.
I'm game for it when my number pops up

signage

I thought the good ol USA was a free country? I think it should be up to each individual, it would only be protecting yourself and if you choose not to get it it shouldn't be a big deal. I want to know how they can tell what it will do to those that take 5, 10, 15, .... years down the road?

CanuckSigns

I thought the good ol USA was a free country? I think it should be up to each individual, it would only be protecting yourself and if you choose not to get it it shouldn't be a big deal. I want to know how they can tell what it will do to those that take 5, 10, 15, .... years down the road?

The point of vaccination is to protect you, as well as protecting others who are not vaccinated for whatever reason. Most vaccines effectively stop you from being able to spread the virus to vulnerable people, now we don't know if this is the case with these new vaccines, but I will be trusting the medical experts, if they say its safe ill be there with my sleeve rolled up!

WildWestDesigns

I can buy into the argument of a rushed vaccine being a hazard but in reality, it has been vetted through proper scientific method.

Ahhh, but what is the proper scientific method anymore where we have issues of CRT and the like. What was once considered good is now considered bad. Keep in mind, the scientific method was actually specifically cited as one of those no no cultural aspects.

So what does make up the "proper" scientific method.

I also can't see these drug companies, at this point in time, opening themselves up to endless litigation over a vaccine with multiple competitors.
I'm game for it when my number pops up

And yet, if I recall the drug Thalidomide is/was considered for treatment use. Now, this was before my time, but some on here may have heard a thing or 2 about that drug. That could potentially open themselves up to litigation, but that's just me.

Notarealsignguy

It is but people used to sacrifice for the greater good of the country. Now, it's only about whats in it for me. If the current attitudes existed during WW2, the world would probably look much different.

Notarealsignguy

Ahhh, but what is the proper scientific method anymore where we have issues of CRT and the like. What was once considered good is now considered bad. Keep in mind, the scientific method was actually specifically cited as one of those no no cultural aspects.

So what does make up the "proper" scientific method.

And yet, if I recall the drug Thalidomide is/was concerned apart for treatment. Now, this was before my time, but some on here may have heard a thing or 2 about that drug. That could potentially open themselves up to litigation, but that's just me.
You're argument on the scientific method is akin to the old I know you are but what am I. It's established and widely accepted by the people that actually know what they're doing. If you aren't willing to accept some basis in fact then you can essentially pick apart anything from basic laws of physics to modern medicine. But, that doesn't make your skepticism correct.

WildWestDesigns

You're argument on the scientific method is akin to the old I know you are but what am I. It's established and widely accepted by the people that actually know what they're doing. If you aren't willing to accept some basis in fact then you can essentially pick apart anything from basic laws of physics to modern medicine. But, that doesn't make your skepticism correct.

No, I was actually bringing in something else into the debate that wasn't directly related, something that I'm well known to do. Also, just FYI, my formal education is in Equine Nutrition and Reproduction, so I do believe in the scientific method.

I highly doubt the same level of scrutiny was/is observed here. I highly doubt it. I didn't say it wasn't, I just highly doubt it.

Now, most of those corners could have been bureaucratic nonsense. That very well may have been the case.

We have had issues where big pharma has not been in the best of light however. I mentioned one from the early aughts. Trust me, I don't have a problem with modern medicine, but I can't help but think of the profit motive as well. Keep in mind, they do this as a business, so there has to be a profit motive. Big pharma isn't a charity. They have also done quite a few lawsuits against laws that would affect their bottom line, in fact, I think there is one going on now, so yea, profit is always on their mind. How much, it all depends.

Litigation can be won just by virtue of who can spend more, not necessarily who was correct. It's really hard not to think about something like that particularly when the industry is a big money making industry.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

It is but people used to sacrifice for the greater good of the country. Now, it's only about whats in it for me. If the current attitudes existed during WW2, the world would probably look much different.

I do believe that. I believe that there was a culture shift starting in the 70s and just got progressively bigger as the years gone on. I don't know though if faith was misplaced in pre 70s or what, but there was definitely a huge shift.

Particularly the last 8 yrs (if you started with geekdom) and for sure with the last 4 yrs, that's a huge ass divide that I don't think anything can recover from.

I can't speak for everyone, this is just my take on it, but with everything having been weaponized politically (and then you have utter failures of the local/state politicians in setting a remotely viable example) doesn't help. I honestly think that it's beyond repair without something really drastically happening, but I don't think that can happen, because the middle ground has been destroyed. I don't care who one thinks it's responsible for that, but to me, the middle ground has just been nuked.

signage

A lot of people volunteered during WWII now after Vietnam I would say not so much. If this vaccine works as good as they say how can me getting one protect someone else, if they elected to get it. Like WW said is it or does it work for everyone? Will it kill some and possibly help others? Now everything seems to be about money. We have a FDA but we continually here about all these food being sold causing salmonella, and other issues. I don't trust government.