• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What In The World Happened Here!

BALLPARK

If it was printed on a HP latex series... heat setting was too low on the print. I love our HP printers, but I have to remember to raise the heat level about 12-19 degrees for solid colors or full color pictures, otherwise we get that slick print feel.

Is it only on the black areas?

What is the CMYK value you guys use on a latex printer for black? I've switched to a 60/40/40/100 in hopes of having less of an issue on the HP latex for black.

Christian @ 2CT Media

With the latex delamination is mostly due to ink density and not allowing the water to fully evaporate before laminating. This was a none issue on the older ones because they didn't have the optimizer and scratch resistance additive. We have learn to profile to the lowest pass settings to prevent too much ink or if higher passes are required we have to let it sit for awhile after printing.

TimToad

With the latex delamination is mostly due to ink density and not allowing the water to fully evaporate before laminating. This was a none issue on the older ones because they didn't have the optimizer and scratch resistance additive. We have learn to profile to the lowest pass settings to prevent too much ink or if higher passes are required we have to let it sit for awhile after printing.

I'm running eco-solv but out of respect for your knowledge I always take note of the technical observations you make for future reference. I thought the OP stated that he let the prints dry for a few days before laminating.

Are saying even that isn't long enough if the proper pass settings aren't selected?

The various salespeople pushing a new latex machine on us always use the argument that you don't need to wait as long to laminate latex as you do solvent.

ikarasu

You can generally laminate right away with latex. You just need the right settings... Whether it's higher heat, higher passes, or intwrpass delay to make sure it sits under the heater long enough.

Some media's still feel a little oily right after printing... Such as 680 reflective. That we generally let sit awhile before laminating... But we've laminated a few right away and haven't had an issue yet.

If all conditions are working perfectly, the heater should be evaporating all the water before it gets out of the machine and you shouldn't need to wait.

In the real world, your shop could be more humid, colder due to winter so your heater isn't as effective... Or your settings not nailed down perfectly. 99% of the time laminating right away is fine in most cases though.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm running eco-solv but out of respect for your knowledge I always take note of the technical observations you make for future reference. I thought the OP stated that he let the prints dry for a few days before laminating.

Are saying even that isn't long enough if the proper pass settings aren't selected?

The various salespeople pushing a new latex machine on us always use the argument that you don't need to wait as long to laminate latex as you do solvent.
You technically don't have to wait at all, but there used to be obscure docs from HP that mentioned waiting 48hrs before laminating prints with solid colors and densities above 120. We have found in our testing that 6 pass provides vibrant enough colors for most clients, those with tricky colors we can typically hit them with 8 pass. Above 10 pass is where we have always had issues with laminates.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
As a manager of many service techs on all the digital inkjet printers I have knowledge of exactly what causes this on Newer HP printers which use one heater instead of the older models which use 2.
I also sold hundreds of HP's, Rolands, Seiko/Oki's, Mimakis for high volume wrap companies so I have a lot of info for you.
I will discuss this but only privately so you can give me a call or text me at 631-520-3074
Bruce

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Bruce, this is a place to share information. Both of your posts have dangled a carrot in front of users but have offered no valuable input.
Either discuss the issue or not. No secret "deals".

It looks like the ink was not properly set before laminating.
Let us know which printer this was produced on.
I have sold and done training on all the inkjet printers for over 20 years.
I am guessing maybe it's a new HP latex?
I have had several of my customers develop this with the HPs and we have a solution.

So what's the solution? This is a place to share ideas and information, so share it.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Please, please, please: when you want help, please put all of the info in the post so we can help you easier/faster.
Important info like printer/rip/profile aren't in 99% of all posts here requesting help on this site.

As a manager of many service techs on all the digital inkjet printers I have knowledge of exactly what causes this on Newer HP printers which use one heater instead of the older models which use 2.
I also sold hundreds of HP's, Rolands, Seiko/Oki's, Mimakis for high volume wrap companies so I have a lot of info for you.
I will discuss this but only privately so you can give me a call or text me at 631-520-3074
Bruce

Why privately? This is a place to share information. Share it!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I am super smart and know alot of stuff...call me and I will tell you the secret to life, but only over the phone...