• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is a more proper description?

myront

CorelDRAW is best
This may be a debatable issue but what is the more proper way to describe the dimensions of a sign?
A 12 x 18 is missing one pertinent piece of the description. Landscape or portrait? I always refer to a banner as 2 x 6 "landscape" or 2h x 6w. Never would I refer to a banner as 6 x 2. One ordering sing blanks you have to order by width first then height. So if you say you need 12 x 18 alum you will get 12w x 18h. If you say 18 x 12 you'll get 18w x 12 h. Why can't we just say 12 x 18 portrait. I just can't seem to wrap my head around it. When I label my files I'll never use a larger number before the smaller one.
And another thing I hate is when someone says banner but they really mean some sort of rigid stock.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I think W x H is the proper way. Think of a sheet of paper, you say 8.5x11, not the other way around. I also have almost everyone (including myself) say 4x8 or 5x10 or what have you..

TammieH

We have always used height first, most signs are landscape, but I don't believe there is a right or wrong way.
When you do a drawing of a sign, its evident, if we do a description of a sign, we put the h and w in the measurements.

dypinc

For example sheets of paper are designated 12" x 18" or 18" x 12" depending on which way the grain runs. 12" x 18" is long grained and 18" x 12" is short grain. I would not want to run 12" x 18" 300gsm or heavier through a digital press but 18" x 12" would be no problem.

Fluted substrates are the same way for example 18" x 24" the fluting runs the long way and 24" x 18" it runs the short way. As for banners, posters etc. it doesn't matter. But for grained paper and fluted substrates it sure does.

2B

We have always used height first, most signs are landscape, but I don't believe there is a right or wrong way.
When you do a drawing of a sign, its evident, if we do a description of a sign, we put the h and w in the measurements.
Exactly, we always list the H first. Regardless which is the bigger number.

And if there is any questions you simply place a W x H by the respective numbers

Sent from my SAMSUNG using Tapatalk

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Height x Width. 'Portrait' and 'landscape' are post-computer jargon to describe local printing of word processing data. Since height and/or width are rather meaningless in a WP free-form text format. Hence the 'landscape' and 'portrait' because the paper size is constant and output width is infinitely variable.

Here in the sign business it's been H x W, it's always been H x W. As far back as I can remember, which is back before the most of your parents were making in their pants, it's been H x W..Since it's always H xW a sign's orientation is inherent in those dimensions.

GB2

Old Member
I'm not sure what justification there is for saying, In the sign business it's always been HxW. If you look at any sign supply catalog, all the suppliers list WxH for all substrates and other materials, therefore we use WxH in our shop. I don't think there really is a right way or a wrong way, the only important thing is that you are consistent about which method you use in your own shop.

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
For example sheets of paper are designated 12" x 18" or 18" x 12" depending on which way the grain runs. 12" x 18" is long grained and 18" x 12" is short grain. I would not want to run 12" x 18" 300gsm or heavier through a digital press but 18" x 12" would be no problem.

Fluted substrates are the same way for example 18" x 24" the fluting runs the long way and 24" x 18" it runs the short way. As for banners, posters etc. it doesn't matter. But for grained paper and fluted substrates it sure does.

We operate this way internally, but on our website (customer facing), we specify height and width when it matters.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
A designer is tasked to provide a background for a 2 x 6 banner and they'll just fill in the text as needed. I automatically assume they mean 2h x 6w. If one is to make directions "dummy proof" then it is imperative to include either the "w" & "h" or "landscape" or "portrait"
ps 6 x 2 still doesn't tell me. I'll still treat it as 2h x 6w.

billsines

My favorite is when the CNC guys look down on me when I use inches as my native dimension and they are using mm. As long as there is money in the bank at the end of the day what does it matter even if I am using cubits or fathoms?;)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there is any one specific way. When we talk to suppliers, I always order according to their jargon. Seems everyone has it different..... as you can see by this thread. However, when talking to the guys in the shop.... or a customer, I always will say 36" up and down, by 42" left and right.

How many times have you said, cut this 4' x 8' in 1/2 and get a 2' x 8', instead of a 4' x 4' ?? Actually, that was a trick question, cause if it happened more than once, you're the hockey puck for not learning in the first place.

shoresigns

I think it's safe to say from all the responses here that there is no standard system and you should always specify which is width and which is height.

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Proper way is WxH. Look at new document creation in both Illustrator and Photoshop. Width is first then height. Also, Onyx lists wxh, as well as my job ordering software. But, that being said, when someone wants an 8'w x 4'h, they'll almost always says 4x8 since its more natural to put the smaller number first. 18x24 Yard Signs are the same way. Rarely do people say 24x18 yard signs. Unfortunately, even though there is a standard, people in general don't know what it is. Best to just specify, if it's not obvious.