Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is good size cutter for Cutting Paint Protection Film Templates

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by tomence, Mar 16, 2010.

1. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    i am trying to get into vehicle paint protection film installation but dont know what is going to be good size cutter to cut the templates coz i am also investing in $2000 software which is called or is from Graphixdirect.com.

Tags:
  2. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    typically most of the 24" will work, but 36" is much better.

3. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Bigger the better. 24" is small by today's standard. Our first cutter was 15", then I went to 24" I thought no way I would need bigger. We now have 30" and end up using our 54" printer as a plotter sometimes.

4. ProWraps

ProWraps Very Active Member

Sep 30, 2009
    San Francisco, CA
    agreed. PPF is a bit different, but with a 36" unless you are planning on doing side panels, it will be more than enough to do bumpers and the hood trims/mirrors/etc that are typical PPF requirements.

99% of your biz will be front exposure. a 36" will do more than enough coverage to do the job.

best advice is to get a sample download from your vendor, and see what their templates are comprised of. i will bet (as i have looked into it extensively), most of them are for a 24" plotter.

if your vendor is unwilling to release a sample template, MOVE ON.

5. tomence

tomence Very Active Member

Feb 10, 2009
    IL
    i do have the 30" as well but that one is at my work the 24" is at home so mostly i wanted to use the 24" since this is gonna be for friends and family first since i never did this before so it is nice way to practice on our cars and go from there. And yeah i am gonna be using it for only the front bamber little bit of the hood and the mirrors.