• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is that tune my Mutoh is humming?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I have been printing on my 1304 since January and within the last few weeks or so notice a humming sound when it is put to sleep for the night.
Sounds like a model train transformer or florescent light ballast buzzing.
It is not very loud - the only time I notice it is when I shut down for the night and turn off all the other equipment and lights.
Set it to sleep with the head low and a scrap bit of media clamped down.
I am almost positive that it is something new that has just started and was not there during the first month or so.
When I go from sleep to power off it sounds like something is powering down but not a rotating part like a fan.
I had the tech come in last week and listen but he could not say if it was anything or not & has not followed up as of yet.
It is working fine - just wondered if this might be an early warning on something about to go south.
Anyone out there spend too much time listening to your printer (like me) and run across something like this?

thanks
wayne k
guam usa

CheapVehicleWrap

heard the same thing a couple weeks ago on my 1614 for 2 nights in a row....

Don't you love how it won't clean unless it's clamped. "But just don't keep it clamped all the time"...

Last edited:

R08

Mine too..

I think these buggers are talkin to each other. They're plotting revenge.

randya

heard the same thing a couple weeks ago on my 1614 for 2 nights in a row....

Don't you love how it won't clean unless it's clamped. "But just don't keep it clamped all the time"...

We keep all of ours here clamped all the time, and have had no issues with flattened rollers. We do tend to print more days than not though.

randya

I have been printing on my 1304 since January and within the last few weeks or so notice a humming sound when it is put to sleep for the night.
Sounds like a model train transformer or florescent light ballast buzzing.
It is not very loud - the only time I notice it is when I shut down for the night and turn off all the other equipment and lights.
Set it to sleep with the head low and a scrap bit of media clamped down.
I am almost positive that it is something new that has just started and was not there during the first month or so.
When I go from sleep to power off it sounds like something is powering down but not a rotating part like a fan.
I had the tech come in last week and listen but he could not say if it was anything or not & has not followed up as of yet.
It is working fine - just wondered if this might be an early warning on something about to go south.
Anyone out there spend too much time listening to your printer (like me) and run across something like this?

thanks
wayne k
guam usa

They need to communicate with the mothership....

And each other....

Really, I think this is just the fans running.
You might have to periodically go and blow the fans out if you are in a dusty environment to keep these clean and free.

I have to this to my PC every year or two.

Keith Rae

There are transformers in the power supplies that are used to step down the power from 120 volts to 12, 5, or whatever Voltage is needed. The transformer works by using the input voltage to creat an electical magnetic field. By changing the number of wraps of wire in the secondary field you get a changed voltage. The electical magnetic field causes vibration and that is where the humming is coming from. They can become so loud that you can't stand to be in the same room as them but if they are vibrating the power in them is ossolating and they are working fine. Transformers rarly ever fail and most make noise. Most times there is a fan close to them for cooling and you can't hear them.

1leonchen

There are transformers in the power supplies that are used to step down the power from 120 volts to 12, 5, or whatever Voltage is needed. The transformer works by using the input voltage to creat an electical magnetic field. By changing the number of wraps of wire in the secondary field you get a changed voltage. The electical magnetic field causes vibration and that is where the humming is coming from. They can become so loud that you can't stand to be in the same room as them but if they are vibrating the power in them is ossolating and they are working fine. Transformers rarly ever fail and most make noise. Most times there is a fan close to them for cooling and you can't hear them.

you meant power ic, transformer is old school. if u leave a phone charger plugged in all the time for more than a month u hear the same noise.