• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best all-around removable vinyl for walls, windows, counter tops, etc…?

eagleact

The more I research removable vinyl the more confused I get. I am looking for a removable vinyl that will work in “all” situations. In reality to work in the most situations possible.

I was leaning towards Avery 2611 since you can print to the edges. However, upon asking a tech if it could be used on windows and a subsequent discussion about all the walls it will NOT stick to he has scared me off that product. The tech was mentioning all kinds of paints, etc. that the product will not adhere to as needed.

Now I am leaning towards 3m ij 40 product. The only drawback here is that you cannot print to the edge with solvent but I was told you can print to edge with HP latex. Is this true?

What is the best all-around removable vinyl for walls, windows, counter tops, etc…?

Thanks.
Brent

Sign Eagle

We have been using Avery 2611 for 2+ years in a Mutoh Ecosol and HP Latex. It has worked very well for us, there have been few problems not sticking to some paint, but those paints would be a problem with any adhesive, usually glossy paint that have silicone for dirt resistance. We have been doing a lot of multi panel walls printed to the edge. The largest to date was 15ft high x 110ft wide, it finished printing 2 am and we started installing 6 hours later. I was all black with some large auto logos. We didn't laminate and because it's 6mil you don't need application tape. We have also use it for removable window graphics and floor graphics on smooth floors with a floor overlam. When printed on the Mutoh it does need a day to dry to prevent stretching or edge curl from full bleed with dark colors.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
3m ij 40 has aggressive adhesive. That will rip paint off of the wall. ( It wont even conform really good on walls too well. I do not recommend it for windows either.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We too have had problems with Avery 2611 sticking to painted walls. I'm scared of it now and have half a roll sitting in the rack... but I have no idea what to use it for.

We are using phototex for walls now.

Sign Eagle

The few painted walls we have had problems with were also a problem with hi performance permanent adhesive. But you might use your half roll for window graphics in place of static cling.

CanuckSigns

We've had very good luck with the avery 2611 on painted drywall, on glass however, it leaves pretty much all of it's adhesive behind when removed.

Sign Eagle

We've not had a problem on glass, not good on anything vinyl such as changeable dates on banners. From what I'm told the removable adhesives have an infinity for vinyl, that why they come off clean, but if applied to a vinyl substrate a lot of the adhesive will stay on the substrate.

royster13

We too have had problems with Avery 2611 sticking to painted walls. I'm scared of it now and have half a roll sitting in the rack... but I have no idea what to use it for.

We are using phototex for walls now.

Could it be the paint had a stain blocker.....Some of the newer "high tech" paints have additives in them that resist amongst other things, adhesive in vinyl.....

MikePro

why can't you print to the edge with IJ40 on a solvent?
i print to the edge with everything, when/if i need to.

Sign Eagle

Tried to look up panoRamo but could not fiind it. Can you post the web site or sme contact information.

It was introduced at the SGIA show in Oct. , I picked up a sample, it's a thick mat'l with a textured surface, the literature indicates the adhesive is removable but it feels rather aggressive. Have not tried any, little pricy, but would be close to laminated floor print with no need to laminate. Fellers has it in their 2013 cat.

MikePro

warrantied calendared vinyl? hmmm
guess I've just gotten used to not using anything but cast materials for products I intend to last.

cpsgumpert

gfi wallmark

had good luck with gfi wallmark. Went through a bunch of different brands to find it. Our main problem was curl with solvent ink when we did removable cut letter. The Wallmark worked better than any other for us, no curl and easy to apply. That being said we still ran into a wall at a hospital that nothing stuck to. All removable graphics take on permanent features after time. Even 3m will not guarantee wall graphics.

3M Graphics

Merchant Member
IJ40C is a very versatile product that can satisfy multiple intermediate or short term application needs and is compatible with many surfaces including walls. However, due to the wide variability of walls, we suggest using a test strip of any potential materials to determine adhesion and removal characteristics prior to final installation. Also, please keep in mind that graphic removal from some substrates may require the assistance of heat.

We do recommend leaving an unprinted border around the IJ40C graphics when you are storing sheeted finished graphics for an extended period of time. It is very important to remember to thoroughly dry the ink and film or properly cure the ink before applying graphic protection, and before storing or installing a graphic

IJ40C has been utilized on windows and is a potential solution for interior POP glass surfaces. Please consider the ambient environment and ease of removability of window graphics. You may also want to consider IJ63 (white) or IJ61 (clear) films with changeable adhesives. 3M accepts no liability for glass breakage due to temperature differences across the glass, which can be caused by sunlight on dark areas of the graphic.

Tammi D. Johnson
Business Development Manager
3M Commercial Graphics Division
651-737-1081
Fax: 651-737-8241